The Soul Connection Chapter 3: Please Don't Disturb

Chapter 3: Please Don't Disturb

Daniel: *whistling* Alone in the woods...nothing bad could happen to me here. 
 *rustling in the bushes* 
Daniel: Only the wind, Daniel. 

Daniel: You've walked these woods before. You know the path. I know the path. 
*the wind howls* 
Daniel: See? Only the wind. Only the wind. It's the wind only. The wind and I. 

*another sound is heard, a louder rustling*
Daniel: Huh? Who goes there?  

*the louder rustling continues* 
Daniel: Show yourself, bush demon! Whatever you... are, I'm... not afraid of you. 
???: I'm not the one trembling.
Daniel: I'm not afraid of you! I've seen those horror movies!  

*the rustling stops as a woman emerges from the bushes* 
Daniel: Who are you? Why are you following me? 
???: I don't follow, I find. I don't stalk, I search. 
Daniel: I'm not afraid of you or your riddles.

???: Approach me. Now. 
Daniel: I'm not afraid of you, witch. You can't trick me into biting into your apple or pricking my finger on a spinning wheel. 
???: You want to know who I am, boy? Approach me. 

*he approaches* 
Daniel: Tell me your name, witch. 
Ivory: I am but a simple woman. My name is Ivory. I do not follow the witchery and trickery that you believe I follow and I do not threaten to harm or hurt any living being. I am but a simple woman-
Daniel: What do you want from me?

Ivory: The question is simple but the answer is a challenge. I'll ask you once and you reply your answer, boy. 
Daniel: Tell me the question, woman! 
Ivory: Do not belittle me. I may not be a witch but I know some spells of one. To both of my sides, you see objects. A bale of hay and a stack of aged books.  

Daniel: The question is....
Ivory: Patience. The question is simple: Which object is more powerful: the hay or the book; but be warned, the answer is tough to uncover. 
Daniel: I'm sure it is. Ha. 

Daniel: Let me think about this 'tough' choice. It seems silly to choose the hay, considering only animals eat it. Do I look like an animal to you? 
Ivory: You do not, boy. Please answer my question. There is plenty of a reward for you. 
Daniel: A reward? I shall think harder. 

Ivory: You have come to a decision, boy?
*he points to the books* 
Daniel: I have. I choose the books because books are something I can use in my life and I cannot eat hay or use it at all. 
Ivory: Interesting. You are interesting, my boy.

Daniel: What is my reward, lady? 
Ivory: You mustn't rush me. I may look swift but I take time to process answers. I must contact the higher spirits-
Daniel: Contact them later, please. I want my reward. 

*she lights the small section of the forest*
Ivory: The higher spirits are processing your answer, boy. I cannot give you the reward for an answer that they do not approve. 
Daniel: Tell them to hurry! I have to go back to the academy soon. 
Ivory: The higher spirits have spoken. You have failed.  

Daniel: Failed? What-
Ivory: You must not argue with me, boy. The spirits calculate whether or not your answer is true and they decide if you shall be rewarded. I am a mere messenger. 
Daniel: Contact them again! They must be lying! 

Ivory: The spirits do not lie, Daniel. They tell the truth and they swear that their decision was the correct and wise decision for you. 
Daniel: How do you know my name? I never told you my name! You're a witch! You betrayed me, you witch! 

Ivory: I do not betray. The spirits have spoken. 
Daniel: Those 'spirits' are lies in your head! You're a witch and you tricked me! I'll have my revenge one day, you know. 

Ivory: You would like the truth, would you? You would like to know why I was summoned here to test you, is that correct? You would like to know-
Daniel: You've been following me around, haven't you? What do you know about me? 
Ivory: I haven't and I do not know much. I was summoned to test your goodness. Someone does not think you are good. 

Daniel: Then they lie. I am good and I swear I am always a good person. Sometimes I make mistakes, but I am human! I can make mistakes! 
Ivory: Someone thinks your 'mistakes' are too large, too horrible. 
*he steps forward* 

*he wraps his hand over her throat* 
Daniel: Who? Who thinks I make horrible, large mistakes. Who do you speak to that is spreading lies? Is it you? Do you think I am no good? 
Ivory: It is someone else. A spirit-
Daniel: A spirit is not real, miss. Spirits are part of your witchcraft.

Ivory: *gasping for breath* You are making mistakes, boy. They are messy and horrible, and they are causing damage. You need to stop before you have no good left inside. 
Daniel: I have plenty of good left inside of me, thank you.
*he lets her fall*  

Daniel: *panting* Uh...oh no..what have I done? 
*there is some more rustling in the bushes* 
Daniel: I couldn't have killed her...did I?  

Daniel: Oh no. What have I done again? I've hurt someone again. 
*he breathes in and he breathes out* 
Daniel: I better head back to the academy.  

----

The Next Day....

Viola: Good morning everyone! Has anyone seen Daniel since last night?
Finn: I haven't, but I hadn't seen any of you but Justin. That one woke me up this morning.
April: I don't think he meant it. 

 Justin: I didn't mean to wake you up, Finn. It's not my fault I hadn't deleted my alarm from home.
Finn: Now that seems like it's definitely your fault.
Justin: It wasn't, but it's gone now. You can sleep easy tonight.

 Melanie: I thought Daniel said something about the forest? He didn't get lost, did he?
Viola: As much as he annoyed me, I know he knows those woods. He wouldn't lose sight of the academy anyway.
Melanie: You sure? He seems...odd.

 April: We shouldn't need to worry about him. I'm sure he's fine and he's just extra tired. Especially if he did take a walk late last night.
Melanie: So now we just ignore the possibility that someone could be missing?
April: He's not missing, he's just...not in this room.

 Viola: April is right. It's not like he's magically disappeared in thin air. Wherever he is, I'm sure he will be okay. He's probably sleeping in. I can ask Jared-
Finn: Yeah, leave this room and disappear too. You sure he can't just find his way here himself?
Viola: It's unlike him to miss class. 

  Justin: April....hey.
April: What's up?
Justin: Doesn't it seem suspicious that Mr Quinlan is late too...

 April: What are you suggesting, Justin? That one of them killed the other and is trying to cover it in this bright and sunny morning right before class.
Justin: I don't know about murder, but-
April: Mr Quinlan told me he'd be a bit late today because he had to fetch his coffee. Nothing is suspicious about him. 

 Finn: Hear that Melanie? Nothing is suspicious about him!
Melanie: About who?
Finn: Both of them! That's who. I think that's who.

 Justin: I suggest we just wait here until someone else arrives and tells us to do otherwise. There's no use leaving.
Viola: I suppose you're right. Daniel will come when he does. Let me know so I can slap him.
Melanie: Jeez, what happened between the two of you?
Viola: Long story.

 Melanie: Anyway, moving on. I've been reading that note about once every hour and I'm stuck with nothing. This academy is freaking creepy.
April: I don't know what you mean. That note was one thing-
Melanie: But you haven't been to the staircase beside my dorm room.


 Viola: What's wrong with a staircase? Too many stairs for your feet, princess?
Finn: Wait, a staircase? You're afraid of a staircase?
Melanie: I never said I was afraid of it. It's what is above it. There's two locked doors.

Finn: Locked doors? Hmm. Sounds very suspicious for a academy. Are you sure it's not just some storage closets or something? Maybe a room stacked with school supplies or....oh no...a room containing spare chairs! 

 Justin: We don't have any idea what's up there, Finn. We're not teachers here and we only just got here, so let Melanie imagine what's behind two strange doors at the landing of a staircase. For all she knows, there could be some serious monsters behind those doors.
Finn: For the last time, monsters aren't real.

 Melanie: You know what I'm thinking?
April: What, that monsters are totally real?
Melanie: Uh, yes but no. I'm thinking we should be the better people and open those doors.

 April: While I applaud your bravery and all, you really want to break into a part of the academy they clearly don't want us to enter?
Melanie: You only lock doors that hide secrets. I should know, I have brothers.
April: Well how about tonight then?

 Dorothy: Very interesting indeed. I have always wondered where those doors do lead. Ever since I watched them build this place.

 Justin: So the girls are heading to check out those doors? Viola, are you going?
Viola: Probably not, but you should go.
Justin: Only if they allow it.

 Melanie: You up for the scares then Justin? No doubt those doors will lead to some scary drama.
Finn: Storage is real scary.
Melanie: Nobody would hide storage in an attic in the dorm. They keep storage in the main building, everyone knows that.

 Sean: "Everybody knows that" Oh she's such a bore. Let me live, please.
Dorothy: You think we haven't tried to swap places with a living? It won't work.
Sean: You're a bore. It's a pity I can't continue living.
Dorothy: Least you stopped whining.

 Melanie: *flinching* I swear I just heard something from that direction.
Justin: I'm sure it was nothing, Melanie.
Melanie: It wasn't nothing. Someone or something moved over there.

 April: You're becoming too paranoid, Melanie. Nothing is in here besides the five of us, and none of us moved at all. Maybe it's just your imagination.
Melanie: I'm not paranoid!
April: How much sleep did you have last night?

 Viola: It's okay for Melanie to be upset and frazzled. She left her family for this. I know it sounds alarming, but it's okay for her to be acting...distant.
Melanie: I'm okay, I promise. I guess I didn't hear anything.

 Finn: Now that interests me. She thinks she heard something but once Viola tells her it's okay for her to be sad, she denies everything. Seems fishy.
Viola: Hey, don't look too deep into it.
Finn: Oh, I'm not the one flipping the story around on you. 

 Justin: How about we talk about something else? Does anyone want to talk about the reason they came here?
Melanie: Not really. I mean I was forced into it.
Justin: Oh.

 April: Well, at least your manager isn't sick and could potentially die. At least your tour wasn't cancelled because he couldn't be replaced and so the whole tour had become one big mess.
Justin: Oh...
April: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get so defensive. It's just that some of us aren't smiling on the inside anymore.

 *there's a knock at the door* 
Finn: Who knocks on a classroom door?
Justin: I'm more curious as why there isn't a window in here. So stuffy in here, plus you never know when someone could be coming.
Finn: To shoot you? Well, no one can shoot through walls. 

 Viola: Daniel, is that you?
*the door opens* 
Viola: It isn't. Dammit.
*the door closes*

 Mr Quinlan: It's only me. Ready to begin class?
Viola: Uh, we should probably wait for Daniel.
Mr Quinlan: Okay, we'll wait for him then. I'm sure he won't be long.

Finn: I just thought of something. If most of us are first years, then why are there two second years in this class?
Mr Quinlan: Good question, Mr Goodwin. I taught Viola and Daniel last year and the faculty decided I continue teaching them. Luckily for them, the curriculum changes each year so they won't be relearning everything from last year. 

 Viola: I wouldn't want any other teacher, Mr Quinlan.
Mr Quinlan: (To Viola) I'm very glad. (To all) How long have you all been waiting for Daniel in here? It's awful stuffy.
Melanie: Probably an hour, maybe two.

 Justin: It hasn't been that long, Mr Quinlan. We were just talking among ourselves while we waited so we weren't entirely bored.
Melanie: April thought Daniel was kidnapped.
April: I did not! That was you!

 Mr Quinlan: I'm positive he'll be okay. He'll be here soon and we can continue the class.
Finn: You know what, sir, you should start without him.
Mr Quinlan: Are you sure, Mr Goodwin? Does everyone agree?

 Melanie: Daniel can miss some of the lesson. We can catch him up. 
Viola: But he never misses a lesson. As much as I would like to continue to spite him, it isn't fair. 
April: We don't waste time waiting for one student. The lesson continues.

-----
Meanwhile....

Daniel: One more phone call. Then I have to go to class, they'll be wondering where I am. 
*he presses a contact number and waits for the answer* 
Daniel: Here we go.   

 Daniel: Hello. I am truly sorry for this late call, I was busy last night... Yeah, I know you're important...No, I wasn't with her all night...No, I was in the forest...I wasn't drunk, there was this woman...I didn't fool around with her!

 Daniel: She offered me a reward if I correctly answered her stupid riddle, and I failed her...I get it, I was stupid to talk to her...Her name was Ivory, and I don't know where she is now...I thought I killed her but she was gone this morning.

 Daniel: Of course I hid the body, but either someone found her or she wasn't dead. I could've sworn she was dead...I get it, no trickery.

Daniel: I shouldn't have been in the forest anyway. There was an argument last night and I pissed her off, but I promise you I will fix things...No, we haven't yet. No, I don't want to yet...I know, I know. 

Daniel: I know, I'm not stupid. It's tough to walk here without the shadows following me. When can we meet next? 
 ???: We can't yet. You're too suspicious, Daniel. You'll attract moths. 
Daniel: I'm not weak. I can handle myself.  

 ???: You think you're the bees knees, don't you? You think that girl loves you? Even after what you'll do next? 
Daniel: I won't do it. I love her enough. 
???: Daniel, listen to me. I have a prisoner who, if he's lucky, will be very happy tonight. Don't bother me. 


 Daniel: Listen to me. I am no sheep. I do not follow your rules. 
???: You don't follow my rules, huh? Where was that attitude a while back? 
Daniel: I can't continue living like this.

 ???: You will continue to live like this or else you'll be found dead in a gutter somewhere in Canada. You either follow like a sheep or you cry wolf and the town- or should I say, my alliance- will hunt you down and you will die. 
Daniel: You want to know what the riddle was I was faced with last night? 
???: Sure, Danny boy.

Daniel: This woman beckoned me to come to her and she told me to decide one thing: which object is more powerful: the hay or the books. She asked me to think carefully about my answer, and because I was foolish, I chose the object beneficial to humans only. The books. 
???: Where is this leading, Daniel? 
Daniel: This talk between us has revealed one thing. The hay is more powerful. The hay embodies survival. Survival is the key.  

???: Is this wisdom I hear, Daniel? 
Daniel: Books may help us humans to learn the knowledge of this world, but hay is the food of the animals and with animals, humans can survive with food. While knowledge may help us survive for longer, food is food. 
???: While this is so fascinating, I believe I cannot see the point of this useless stammering. You want me to believe hay is better than books, is that it? 

Daniel: I will see you soon, my dear. Expect to hear from me soon. 
???: Whatever you say, lover boy. Don't bother me tonight. 
Daniel: I wouldn't dare to, Nadine. 

 
 Nadine: Never call me that again. You do not call me by my first name. You hang up this call now. 
Daniel: Okay, I'll hang up now. Goodbye. 
Nadine: Goodbye, Daniel. 

*the door opens behind Daniel*

 Viola: Daniel! Where have you been? We've been waiting for you in the classroom.
Daniel: I'm sorry, Viola. I was busy. 
Viola: Hurry up. Mr Quinlan is waiting for you so we can begin the class.

 Daniel: I am sorry, Vi, but I got caught up talking to my mother. She's worried I've been spending too much time here and not enough time at home, but I let her know I'm happy here. 
Viola: Daniel, you can go home on the weekends if you want. Nobody is holding you back.

Daniel: I want to but I want to stay here with you, Vi. I want to make it up to you for what I said last night. I want to be there for you. 
Viola: You can spend time with your family, Daniel. I can't hold you back from that. You go home next weekend. 
Daniel: I will go back then. Are you going home then?  

 Viola: I think I'll stay here and hang out with the other students in out class. 
Daniel: Are you sure they'll ever like either of us? 
Viola: What are you talking about, Daniel? I'm getting along with all of them. 

 Daniel: You don't have to lie to me, Viola. If you don't like them and they don't like us, then we don't need to worry about them.
Viola: Daniel! I do like them, and you can't change that. I don't want to yell at you, but you don't own me. 

 Daniel: Whatever you say, Viola. 
*she leaves* 


 Viola: Something is definitely up with him. He's acting really strange around me. 
Finn: Must be his time of the month. 
Viola: I'm serious, I think he's up to something.

Daniel: I think she's up to something....no she can't be...oh but she is.

_____________

Next time on The Soul Connection: A school assignment shakes some inspired and direct arguments among both the living and the dead.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Soul Connection Chapter 1: An Odd Meeting

The Soul Connection Chapter 12: Cuts and Bruises

The Soul Connection Chapter 7: The Dangers of Mine