The Soul Connection Chapter 6: The Unspoken Dead

Chapter 6: The Unspoken Dead

The 1920s.

Victoria: Mother! Father! Where are you? 
Tricia: We're in the main room, dear. We've been expecting you. 

Victoria: Well, I'm here mother. What- What is all of this? Mother? Father? 
James: Darling, it's your birthday. You can't expect us to forget about all of that. We're your parents. 

Tricia: Your father is right, dear. You deserve to celebrate this day with your parents and your close friends. Look, please enjoy today. 
James: Your mother slaved over preparing everything for today. 

Victoria: Mother, father- this is so out of the blue! 
I...I don't know how to feel. Did you bake me a cake?

Tricia: Victoria, don't worry. This whole party is for you. I...I know it's not much, but in these recent years your father and I haven't been entirely rich lately. 
Victoria: Oh mother! It's perfctly normal. 

Victoria: *voice over* To be perfectly honest, I hate this. I hate all of it. Yes, sure, my mother and father are struggling with money and all, but I didn't ask for a cheap party. I didn't even ask for a party.

Lynette: Vicky, you must admit this party is good enough. Your parents care for you. They do. 
Victoria: They do, but they don't know me. They don't care about who I am, only the fact that I carry their surname. 

Victoria: *voice over* They think they're helping me because they forgot my birthday last year, and the year before that. They were too busy or whatever. Gee, to think they actually care for me.

Victoria: *voice over* They act like I am their little princess, but they don't know me. I am no princess. I'd rather roam the streets than sing in my little high tower. 
Tricia: You simply must love this party, my daughter! 

James: Your mother slaved over everything here. She invited Lynette for you; you must be happy about that. Lynette has always been such a supporting friend for you.

Victoria: Lynette drinks alcohol! Do you approve of that? Would you approve of that if it was my life?
James: Victoria, you shouldn't be drinking that! You have a life to live-

Victoria: So drinking will kill me? Is that what you are saying, father? You do think I will be dead if I continue on this pathway? 
James: You are prohibited from ever leaving this house. You cannot see Lynette ever again. 

Victoria: *voice over* I hate them. They do not know me, and now that I've even spoken about something that isn't right for them, they have cast me out. I will never be happy again.

----

???: You shouldn't be in this place. This was locked. You-
Justin: We broke in, and we're sorry. 
???: You shouldn't be here. Nobody knows who I am.

Melanie: Who exactly are you? How long have you been sleeping up here? I have so many questions to ask you, you freak. 
Justin: Melanie, no. Let her explain. 

Melanie: Well, please explain. I'm listening. 
???: Okay. My name is...Serephina, and I've only been sleeping up here for...a few weeks. You should leave now, in case someone catches you up here. 

Finn: Someone's already found us up here, so I think we're in the clear. It's not like the whole school will barge up here to catch us. Wait- do you work here? Do you work at this academy? 

Serephina: I do not. I've only been living up here, I do not work here. I leave in the early daylight and return in the darkness. 
Melanie: You're the cause of that creaking I hear in the morning! I thought it must have been ghosts. 

Justin: Serephina, why live here? What about this academy lured you here if you do not work here? 
Finn: I admit I'd love to live in the attic of an academy full of teenages too. 

Finn: Speaking of teenagers, can we talk later, April? I have something to talk to you about in private, if that's okay?
April: Sounds perfectly fine. I'm videochatting with my manager in the afternoon, but anything after that is fine. 

Serephina: I did work here once. Professor Hendrix. It has such a...marvellous ring to it, you know. The students adored me...but people change. Things do change. You probably think I'm insane for staying here. 

Justin: Wait- how'd she do that? 
Melanie: What, travel around the room quickly? She's insane, it's what they do best. 
Justin: What? Insane people are naturally fast? 
Melanie: Probably. 

Justin: If you don't mind me asking, what happened to you? Why aren't teaching anymore? 
Serephina: It's a long story to tell. You'd hate to be late tomorrow? 
Melanie: We have time. 

April: I prefer long stories, actually. Please, continue. 
Serephina: You know you should be leaving me. 
Justin: We want to hear a story. 

Finn: God, I'd hate to be disappointed to the point where I tell the principal that an old professor is creeping around these halls and living in the attic. 
Melanie: Oh, that would definitely happen. 

Serephina: You can punish me if you'd like. Tell them the truth, but know this now: Nobody will find me. I know how to hide. 

Melanie: Yeah, right. I'm leaving. I need to sleep so my mind is fully awake when I approach the principal with this special, special news. 
Finn: Let's move, guys. It's too late. 

Serephina: Fine, I'll tell you. For a price, of course. *she winks* 
Finn: A price? We're not paying you anything. 
Serephina: I don't want your money.

April: What would you like, Serephina? 
Serephina: What would I like? Hmm. Such a tricky question. 
April: It shouldn't be. 

Justin: You shouldn't want much for a simple story. Unless you're a criminal, and this is the story about how you murdered eight students. 
Melanie: Eight? Is there some news article about a massacre here? Please say yes. 
Justin: I don't know. Eight is just a random number. 

Finn: Tell us what you want and we will find it for you. Then you tell us how you ended up here alone and insane. 
Melanie: Whatever you want, one of us can find it for you. 

Serephina: You help me and only after that will I tell you the story. 
Justin: Tell us what you want. 
Serephina: I want-

-----

April: Good morning! Mr Quinlan is late as usual. 
Justin: You say 'as usual' like he's been late more than once. 
April: Well, he was yesterday. 

Viola: Good morning April; Justin. I'm pretty sure Mr Quinlan called in sick today. Something about a sore throat or something. 
Justin: Seems like him. 

Melanie: So..Daniel. When did you want to begin this assignment on the dead person? Or... did you start? 
Daniel: I'm going to stop you there. I'm in no mood right now. 
Melanie: Right. 

Finn: So, I mean, what happens now? Free period or what? 
Viola: Uh, no. They'll bring in the substitute, of course. 
Finn: Oh right! I forgot about that. 

Justin: April, I love your dress. 
April: Aw, Justin! Thank you so much. I love your sweater. So much. 
Justin: Are you just- wait. 

April: She's here. 
Viola: Damn, April. Are you sure it's a woman? 
Justin: Yeah, are you sure, April? 

*the door opens* 

Serephina: Good morning class. Listen up. Now, I won't talk for long. 
Viola: Jesus, you're good. 
April: I'm just a little bit psychic, I suppose. 

Serephina: Your teacher is out today, and so here I am. In the flesh. 
Justin: Yay. So, what are we learning about today? 
Serephina: What a tough question. 

Finn: It's not that tough. You must have prepared something, surely. You are a teacher. You know how to teach us. 
Serephina: No need to sugarcoat it, student. 

Melanie: But you do know how, don't you? I mean, you should be able to remember what the principal told you on the phone and provide us with the knowledge?

April: There's no need to argue with Mrs- wait, we don't even know your name. 
Viola: You can't use your powers for that, April? 
April: I'm not a mind reader. 

Serephina: Right, my name. Well...it's...uh....my name is...uh...
Finn: Incompetent teachers, am I right? 
Serephina: Huh. Where was I?

Daniel: Your name? You were about to tell us what your name is, please. 
Viola: I'm sure she'll get there in a moment. Not everyone is healthy on the inside. 

Serephina: My name is Maggie Martellousa, and I will be teaching this wonderful class today! Now please, hold on tight, and keep your hands and feet in the vehicle at all times. 
Finn: This ain't a carnival ride. 

Melanie: Miss Martellousa, when will we be learning things because everyone in this room knows how much I love learning. 
Finn: What a joke. 
Melanie: Bite. Me. 

Serephina: Let me just clean this lucky ducky whiteboard and we'll be ready to go! 
Viola: Uh, I have a question. Where did you buy that hair piece thing? 
Serephina: Oh, it's an old family heirloom. No store sells this.

Justin: Hey, Finn. 
Finn: Yeah, what's up? 
Justin: Oh nothing. 

Daniel: *whispering* Where'd this academy find this lunatic Maggie? 
Melanie: God if I know. Haha. 
Daniel: Did I speak to you? No. 

Serephina: Interesting conversations I can hear. One, Justin clearly is attracted to the male species and he's clearly lonely and two, Daniel, I've been a teacher here at Bravleia for a while. I was on a vacation. 
Daniel: Yeah, sure. 
Justin: I'm not lonely. 

April: Hey. Justin, is that fog or smoke? Where is that coming from? 
Justin: What the hell? 
April: Please tell me why. 

Serephina: Hmm, I'm nearly finished up here before we can begin today's lesson. Who's ready? 
Finn: Excuse me, are you blind? There's smoke. 
Serephina: You'd find that's only fog, students. 

Finn: Well hooray! The crazy nut is perfect fine with all the fog streaming into this room. 
Viola: It's filling the room. We'll suffocate. 
Serephina: No you won't. 

Melanie: Why is no one actually thinking about leaving this place? We'll die in here if we don't leave. 
Serephina: Oh, you amuze me, Melanie. 
Melanie: I never told you my name! 

Melanie: I'm leaving before anything happens. You might say we're okay but I don't like you. Is this what you did last time? Leak poisonous gas into the classroom? 
Serephina: I'd sit down if I were you. 
Melanie: I don't think so. 

Melanie: Oh my god. It can't be. 
???: Yes, I'm here. It's me, Melanie. 

Serephina: Sit down now, before you cause any pain to yourself.
Melanie: I will be fine, I swear. 
Serephina: I don't care if you swear. Sit down! 

Melanie: No! I won't lose the chance to see him! He's...he's family. 
Serephina: Sit yourself down right now! I can't control this! 
Melanie: I don't want you to control this. 

???: Hello, Melanie Hale. It's me. I'm here. I look younger but I'm here right now. 
Melanie: Grandpa....you're so young. How...how are you here?

George: It must have been this woman. She conjured my spirit, but I'm afraid I cannot be here for long. It's an honour seeing you. 
Melanie: I've always wanted to meet you. 
George: I wish I hadn't passed away.

Melanie: Wait- you can help us! We were told about a pool of souls, surely you know about it! 
George: My mind is old and weak now. I can barely remember anything. 
Melanie: No! You need to remember something. 

Melanie: You're the father of my mother. She talks about how wonderful you were, and the missed opportunity that you could have taught me so many things. I want you to help me. 
George: I want to help you, Mel. Let me think. 

George: Wait! I remember something. I remember the names of the six of us. There was Naomi Haristay, Edward Myde, Elizabeth Lancaster, Ophelia Black and...uh, Victor Dalton. Oh, and of course, me. George Hale.

Melanie: Thank you so much! You don't have anything else to add to that? 
George: I want you to have a sucessful life, Mel. I don't want you to follow the life I led, because it wasn't the best I could have had. 

Melanie: I will, grandpa. I'll live a life that will make you proud, I promise. 
George: Thank you, so very much. It's been wonderful to meet with you. 

Melanie: You never did tell me why you look so young, grandpa? 
George: It's the beauty of what she did. I can appear however you wanted me to appear. 
Melanie: So I thought a younger version of you would be much better help? Goodbye, grandpa. 

Serephina: With that, class is dismissed. I'll see you all...never again. Goodbye. 
Finn: You can't just leave. 
Justin: Tell us the truth! 

Serephina: With that, Serephina Hendrix leaves the building, and as the smoke begins to fade, the reflection of George Hale disappears. 
Viola: What the hell, you liar! 
Daniel: Hey, calm down. She's not worth it. 

Melanie: Goodbye, grandpa George. I'll miss you and I'll think about you for ever and ever. 
April: Wait- did he mention someone named Victor Dalton? 
Viola: Oh holy moly. 

Melanie: I only wish to see him again. I never realised how much his presence in my life hurt me. 
Justin: You'll see him again, Mel.

Melanie: No, I won't. He's dead. 
Justin: At least he helped us. 

------
*she heaves the heavy doors open* 
Viola: Hello? Anyone in here? 
*silence*

Viola: Hello? I was told to meet someone up in this attic place. I thought the door would be locked, but uh, I suppose the others did visit here last night. Hello? 
*silence* 

???: Hello, Viola. Thank you for coming. 
Viola: You want to lie to my face about your name or what? Tell me the truth. 
???: You want the truth. Hmm. You seem pretty angry. 

Viola: I've been having a pretty shitty week so far, so I'd appreaciate the truth for once. My name is Viola- wait, you already know that. 
???: Yes. Yes, I do know that. 
Viola: I'll ask one more time. What do you want? 

???: To kill you, of course. 
*she fires* 

Derrick: Uh...no.
Viola: What the hell? She tried to shoot me. Someone...something saved me. 
Derrick: Uh...uh. *he nods* 

???: Well, shit. That failed. I'm leaving. Last time I try to shoot her. 

Viola: Never try to shoot me again, please. I don't want to die. Never. 
???: Okay, move. I'm leaving. 
*she exits* 
Viola: Now, what saved me?  

Derrick: Uh. Uh huh. *he nods* 
Victoria: You idiot. You ruin everything.
Dorothy: I'm sure he didn't mean to. He knows what happens to us. 

Victoria: Yes, we're let loose into the world and we roam these halls like lost puppies for all eternity. I know what happened to Elizabeth. It just sucks that this happened on my birthday of all days.

Sean: Well, happy birthday. I won't ask how old you would be, because I know how much it would hurt. Life stinks. 
Victoria: Yeah, thanks Sean. To think that my last birthday when I was walking with the living I spent smoking and drowning myself in alcohol. 

Dorothy: Once we've finished chatting about our birthdays, let's not forget about Viola. She must think she's insane. 
Sean: And you wouldn't be if someone saved you from death but there was nobody there to thank? 

Dorothy: You think he should reveal himself to her? 
Victoria: Wait, I think he is. 
Sean: Oh no. Derrick, are you sure? 

Derrick: Uh. Yes. 
Viola: Where did you come from? I didn't see you enter. 
Derrick: I didn't...enter. I've been in this room all along. 

Derrick: I saved... you. I saved... you. 
Viola: And I'm thankful, but I need to know who you are. 
Derrick: My name is...Derrick Sanders. 

Victoria: Well shit. The boy can talk. The boy can talk. 
Sean: Don't act so surprised. He's wasn't mute. Just by choice.
Victoria: So true.  

Viola: Derrick? Where did you come from? How did you find me? 
Dorothy: She has no clue. He'll break her. 
Sean: Don't do it, Derrick. 
Derrick: I once...I once attended...this academy. 

Viola: What? What...what happened to you? Did you graduate or did you drop out? You can tell me. 
Victoria: See? She's ready to know. 
Sean: No, it will destroy her. 


Derrick: Uh...I once...attended this academy...but I-
Viola: Go on. 
Derrick: I....I died. I am dead. 

_____________________

Next time on The Soul Connection: Finn is determined to prove himself to the faculty of Bravleia Academy by helping out, and April hears the shocking news of her manager's condition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Soul Connection Chapter 1: An Odd Meeting

The Soul Connection Chapter 12: Cuts and Bruises

The Soul Connection Chapter 7: The Dangers of Mine