The Soul Connection Chapter 8: Poisonous Fruit

Chapter 8: Poisonous Fruit

 Justin: Why is she even in here anyway? The science facility...of all places. 
Melanie: I just found her here, I don't know why.
Ari: Is that the real April Landon? Oh my god. 

 Finn: Yes, it's actually her. No time to ask for her autograph, boy. What happened to her? 
Justin: She isn't dead, is she? 
Ari: Check her pulse.

 Elizabeth: No, she's not dead. She just fainted, dears. Let me wake her up for you now, how about that?
Finn: Did I hear something?  
*April wakes up*

Melanie: April! You're alive! Thank god! I was scared.
April: I'm fine. I'm sorry for scaring you all. 
Justin: I'm just glad you didn't die.

 Finn: What the-
April: Finn! Aren't you going to crowd around me because I didn't die? 
Finn: In a minute. I think I heard something.

 Elizabeth: You don't hear anything, Finn Goodwin. You do not hear me. Tell the others to leave this room and to leave April here. Leave us. 
Finn: Oh. Okay.

 Finn: We should be leaving. April can continue whatever she was doing in here and we will head back to our rooms. 
Ari: Whatever you say, boy. 
Finn: Call me boy one more time-

*Ari and Finn exit*

 Melanie: Be safe in here, April. You're not only my roommate, but you're my closest friend in this place. Don't die on me. 
April: I'm not dying. I won't be dying any time soon, Mel. 
Melanie: I'm glad.

 April: I'll meet you in the lounge in an hour. I have some...errands to run. 
Melanie: Oh okay. I'll see you later then, girl.

 April: Elizabeth Lancaster, are you still here? Come out. 
Elizabeth: Behind you. I'd like to talk in private. Follow me.

.
.
.
 
 April: No one will disturb us here. It's well secluded and everything. 
Elizabeth: Good. 
April: Did you want to tell me why you creeped up on me back there? The first time. Why interrupt me? 

 Elizabeth: I won't apologize for scaring you. I am dead, and that is not something I can allow to be forgotten. I will tell you why I am here. 
April: Why are you here, then? 
Elizabeth: It's not a simple story, I'm afraid.

 April: I'm not leaving. You can tell your story for as long as you need to, I'll be here the whole time. 
Elizabeth: Well, I will begin. I've been roaming these lonely halls for a while because I cannot find what I am looking for. It has never returned to me.

 April: What are you looking for? Maybe I could help. 
Elizabeth: I am not too sure. See, I am looking for my daughter. I died only a short time after her birth, and I've spent countless nights in tears remembering the day she lost me.

 April: A daughter? You...you have a daughter. I don't know how I can help. 
Elizabeth: I told you that myself. 
April: Wait! I want to help you! I won't give up.

 Elizabeth: I do like you, April. You remind me of a younger version of myself, full of life and compassion and a willingness to survive. I can see how passionate you are in helping someone out, so I'll allow you to continue. 
April: A younger version of yourself...

 Elizabeth: I don't say that lightly, dear. However, you cannot be my daughter; I know that. My daughter would be older now. Born in the 1970s. 
April: She might not be here...at the academy, I mean. 
Elizabeth: I can feel a presence. Maybe not her, but my relative. They're here.

 April: It isn't me, is it? No..it couldn't be. My mother doesn't look like you. 
Elizabeth: No, it isn't you. The feeling would be stronger. Who knows where my daughter is now. See, her father and my husband at the time fled the country with her after my death. 

 April: I'm so sorry. I wish I knew how to help, but I'm clueless. The amount of people in this academy...how could I find your relative? 
Elizabeth: I'll find my family one day, darling. One day. 
April: You should be able to find them now. Is there no way to harness the power to source the relative?

 Elizabeth: I admire your optimism, but all of that mumbo jumbo makes no sense to me. I wish I could 'source' the relative, but I'm afraid I cannot find him. 
April: Wait...you know it's a male. How?

 Elizabeth: Did I say him? I meant them, dear. I've been dead for god knows how long, give my brain a little time to adjust to speaking once again. 
April: You can't confuse 'him' with 'them', and don't think I believe you haven't talked to someone since death.
 
Elizabeth: Why did I bother lying to you? I am very sorry. I only know it is a male because something tells me he is. I can't prove anything, but somewhere in this academy, my relative is waiting for me. 
April: What's your daughter's name? 
Elizabeth: Her name was...her name is Samantha. My daughter. 

 April: We'll find your daughter, Elizabeth. First, we'll find your relative. Where shall we look first?

-----

 Mr Quinlan: *off-screen* Yes, I was busy this morning. I couldn't come in for morning classes, but I had to come in now to finish some work. *Pause* Yes, I will be here tomorrow. *Pause* Of course I was busy! You think I'd lie to my boss and then show up later that day. 

 *Mr Quinlan enters* 
Mr Quinlan: Hello, can I help you? Wait- is that you, Justin? What are you doing in my office?

 Justin: I wanted to talk to you, sir. 
Mr Quinlan: Could you turn around so I can see your face? 
Justin: Would you like that?

 Mr Quinlan: Uh...I don't like talking to your back, Justin. Can I ask why you're here or are you too here to berate me for my absence. 
Justin: I know why you were absent, sir. I'm not stupid. I did live with you. 
Mr Quinlan: Turn around, please.

 *he turns around* 
Justin: Is that any better, sir? Can you see me clearly now that my face is more present in our conversation? 
Mr Quinlan: Why are you in my office, Justin? Can you answer that for me?

 Justin: I would like to help you, sir? I heard that you're very busy tonight. 
Mr Quinlan: This is our house, Justin. You don't need to help me out. 
Justin: No, I insist on helping you.

 Mr Quinlan: Where is this coming from, Justin? Most of the times you'd rather not help me out at home. Are you okay? Should I call your mother? 
Justin: You don't need to call my mother. I'm fine, sir.

 Mr Quinlan: Are you sure? You look slightly pale. 
Justin: I always look slightly pale, sir. I am fine; I have been fine since the moment I woke up this morning. 
Mr Quinlan: Well, you must be fine then.

Mr Quinlan: I suppose you can help me then. I need some extra hands cleaning the book lounge. Are you coming? 
Justin: Book lounges are quite the places. I'm in. 
Mr Quinlan: Okay then.  

.
.
.
 
 Justin: Wow. Did the book monster up and die in this place or what? 
Mr Quinlan: There's no 'book monster', Justin. 
Justin: I'm just trying to believe. The people trying to shame me.

 Mr Quinlan: The book club is into this new system. You read a book, and the book remains there forever, waiting for the next session.
Justin: Is that a cook book? What person reads that religiously? 
Mr Quinlan: *cough cough* Your mother. 

 Mr Quinlan: Just pick up the books and return them to the bookshelves-
Justin: And crush the dreams of book readers everywhere? 
Mr Quinlan: It's principal's orders, not mine.

 Mr Quinlan: I hear what you said about my mother. She's a brilliant chef, yes, but you don't have to bag her out for it. 
Mr Quinlan: I didn't 'bag' her out. 
Justin: So you just coughed because you...what, can cough?

Mr Quinlan: I loved your mother once, but things change; people change. I don't hate her, but I've moved on. You understand that? 
Justin: Yeah, sure. Whatever.  

 Mr Quinlan: I don't know why you're suddenly angry and full of angst, but you can talk to me freely about anything. I know I act like a big idiot around others, but we're still friends. 
Justin: Then stop acting like the divorce broke that friendship. You keep lying to me.

 Mr Quinlan: Move your ass out of the way! I need to return these books to their homes! Hurry up. 
Justin: Don't be so pushy, Mr Quinlan. I'm just a student; slow and useless. 
Mr Quinlan: You're better than that.

 Justin: Damn right I'm better than that. *voice over* I can be even better too.
Mr Quinlan: What was that? I couldn't hear you over the book collecting I'm doing. 
Justin: Oh, nothing. I just said I better tan stat!

 Mr Quinlan: Well, you do look a little pale...
Justin: Oh shut up. You with your perfect skin and all. 
Mr Quinlan: Did you say something? Maybe it was "Look how pale I am, sir?" 
Justin: Yeah, that's it. 

 Mr Quinlan: We're nearly finished here. Thank you for your help, Justin. 
Justin: Anytime, Jacob! 
Mr Quinlan: You haven't earned that right back, Mr Hawkin.

 Justin: Only these few books left, huh? This didn't take too long. Plus, I know you must have missed my help. 
Mr Quinlan: Uh, yeah. I did. Sure. *voice over* Surely I heard that incorrectly. He wouldn't flirt with me.

 Justin: Do you need a hand finding the spot for that book? I think it was somewhere near one of the other books I returned. 
Mr Quinlan: No, I'm fine. 
Justin: *voice over* Jesus Christ, that ass. I'm so crazy.

 Mr Quinlan: You get bored helping me out or something? Come on, Justin, help me finish. 
Justin: *voice over* Keep it in, Justin. Hold your tongue. 
Mr Quinlan: Please. 
Justin: Jesus Christ. Your ass. 

 Mr Quinlan: What did you just say? 
Justin: *voice over* Busted. I am done. One small funeral please.
Mr Quinlan: What did you just say to me? I know I heard that. 

 Mr Quinlan: I'm calling your mother. We need to talk. 
Justin: Wait, I can explain. Please, hear me out. 

 .
 .
 .

 Justin: Let me talk. I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything. My mouth plays for a fool sometimes, but forget about it. 
Mr Quinlan: I'm talking to your mother. That's final.

 *she enters* 
Mr Quinlan: Samantha, please come and sit down. 
I want to talk to you about your son. 
Samantha: This better be important. I was on a dinner date with Jake Gorman.

 Justin: Hey, mum. How's things been at home? 
Samantha: Actually, quite wonderful. That dreadful cat from next door died. 
Justin: More like was murdered, am I right?

 Mr Quinlan: I didn't call you here to small talk with your son, Samantha. This is an important conversation about him. 
Samantha: Is he dying? Is he sick? Is there something wrong with him?

 Mr Quinlan: No, he's not dying. He's perfectly healthy, according to how he woke up this morning. He's also always pale, so that's that. 
Justin: Can we just move on? 
Mr Quinlan: I didn't ask you to speak.

 Samantha: I'll be happy with anything else then! I thought you invited me here with something serious, but I guess not. 
Mr Quinlan: Samantha. It is serious. Can you allow me to finish?

 Justin: As much as it hurts, allow him to finish. Please, mum. 
Samantha: Okay, alright. Please continue, Jacob. 
Justin: Thank you.

 Mr Quinlan: This is serious, Samantha. You probably wouldn't have noticed this while we were married, but Justin has...developed an attraction to someone. 
Samantha: Oh my! You've found love, Justin! I'm so very happy for you.

 Justin: Well, that's the funny part. I haven't exactly found love. I'm actually attracted to-
Mr Quinlan: He's attracted to me, Samantha. 
Justin: Bingo.

 Samantha: You mean to tell me you're attracted to your ex-step father? You're attracted to Jacob Quinlan? 
Justin: Yes. You don't have to act like he's seriously unattractive, mother.
Samantha: Well...

 Samantha: I suppose I cannot be controlling over who you choose to love. If you choose to be attracted to your ex-step-father, then I can accept that. 
Justin: You're not mad at me? 
Samantha: He's not your father, Justin.

 Mr Quinlan: Well, I didn't expect that. Didn't think you accept him for that, Samantha.
Justin: She clearly ships us, sir. 
Mr Quinlan: I'll choose to ignore that. Thank you for coming, Samantha.

 Elizabeth: It's her. It's my daughter. 
Samantha: Thank you for a laugh, Mr Quinlan. I can't wait for the wedding. 
Elizabeth: My daughter's son too. I have a grandson.

------

 Daniel: The reception here is terrible. *he hits the phone* Work, you stupid thing. 
Viola: *off-screen* Daniel, is that you? 
Daniel: I'll come in a minute, Vi!

*the call begins*  
Daniel: Hello. Yes, it's me. Daniel. 
???: *on the other end* Where are you? This family approached me earlier with claims that you stole their son.

 Daniel: I didn't steal anyone's son. Send them here tomorrow. I believe they'd love to have a little chat with Viola.
???: About her. That was the last time I try to shoot her. There's a dark heart in her chest. 

 Daniel: I have an idea! Before you try to hurt her once more, I'll chat with her. See if I can find out how she survived that bullet. 
???: That's the thing, Daniel. The bullet never entered her body. Someone protected her.

 Daniel: I will find out who did that, and I will simply end them. I will kill them, so they cannot protect her ever again. 
???: Kill her while you're at it, Daniel. Sometimes I wonder why I hired you.
Daniel: Maybe it's because you love me. Goodbye. 

*he hangs up the call*

 Daniel: I'm here, Viola. 
Viola: Took your time, Danny. How was your day? 
Daniel: It was fine. How was yours?

 Viola: I visited the graveyard with Justin. He's such a great friend to help me like that. 
Daniel: Why did you go there, Vi? What's so amazing about a cemetery?

 Viola: Oh, nothing really. It was just a small adventure for the two of us. He thought he owed it to me to help out. 
Daniel: So, now you owe him? Isn't that funny? 
Viola: I don't owe him anything.

 *they kiss* 
Daniel: I know, baby. I know he owes you nothing. 
Viola: See? Friends don't need to owe each other.

 Daniel: Well, I must be heading to bed. Won't you be? 
Viola: Yeah, I will. I'm just waiting on my roommate to return. 
Daniel: Anna, right?

 Viola: No, her name is Jeana. 
*he exits* 
Whatever. 

 Jeana: I saw that sneaky boyfriend of yours sneaking away at this time of the night. You should try keeping him on a leash or something? 
Viola: Hey, Jeana. I'm sorry he called in late. 
Jeana: Why should it matter me?

 Viola: I don't think he's faithful. He's lying to me, at least. About something. 
Jeana: You should talk to him. Don't let it rot you to the core. 
Viola: Maybe tomorrow. It's too late now.

 Jeana: If he is lying to you, he doesn't deserve you. You're an amazing girl, Viola Dalton, and I don't see why you couldn't find someone else equally awesome as yourself. 
Viola: You don't like him, do you? Maybe it's because he calls you Anna. 

 Jeana: I don't let that bother me. He's had a suspicious air to him since I met him, but it's up to you. Viola, it is your choice. 
Viola: I know. 
Jeana: Sleep and think about it. I'll talk to you in the morning.

 Viola: Okay. I will think about it. Goodnight, Jeana. 
Jeana: Goodnight, Viola. 
Viola: Are you sure being called Anna doesn't annoy you? 
*Jeana laughs*

 Jeana: It doesn't annoy because at least he's saying part of my name. Yeah, he forgets some of it, but he remembers the 'ana' part. 
Viola: Very true. It'd be pretty terrible if he called you Susan.
Jeana: Goodnight, Vi. 

 Viola: Goodnight, Jeana. 
Jeana: Night. 

*they fall asleep*

 Victoria: Look at that. Sleeping like a log. Perfect timing, hey Sean? 
Sean: Perfect timing for what? It's late and nothing's open. 
Victoria: Perfect timing to escape into her body, you idiot!

 Dorothy: Tonight is the night then. The night we rejoin the living world once and for all. 
Victoria: Tonight is the night we take back what we lost. Our lives. 
Sean: I don't have to be dead anymore.

 Derrick: No. Uh uh. *he shakes his head* 
Victoria: I'm sorry, what was that? 
Derrick: I won't let you...ruin her life.

 Dorothy: Look at her. Sleeping happily. Don't you want that again, Derrick? 
Victoria: Don't you want the sensation of killing again? 

 Sean: I've missed the living world. I've missed the science. I've been trying to access the science lab, you know, but they catch me each time. I want to make science again. 
Victoria: Derrick? What do you say?

 Dorothy: Imagine a fresh set of clothes. New, dazzling clothes to wear. You must be sick of the same old, same old. Think about that, Derrick.
Sean: Imagine the wind between your fingers. The smell of fresh sea salt. I miss the living world. I can't bear standing around in here. 

Derrick: *whispering* I...I cannot. I...I saved her...and she saves us. We cannot....we cannot destroy her life. 
Victoria: We aren't destroying her life, Derrick. We will be living.  

 Derrick: I wouldn't...I couldn't do it. 
Dorothy: But you must. We must. We only want to live again, and this is our chance. Don't you miss friends, family? Anyone? 
Derrick: I don't....I don't have anyone. 
Victoria: You will accept this, Derrick. You are the minority. The three of us want to live.

Sean: Yes, you saved her. Big whoop. We're all glad you saved her, but you need to save yourself. For the good of us all. 
Derrick: But...she would...never forgive us. 
Victoria: She doesn't even know us. Do you think she'd save you? No. 

 Derrick: Okay. Let's....let us be living again. 

_______________________

Next time on The Soul Connection: Viola becomes obsessed with cleansing herself when the souls attempt to escape. Justin and Samantha are approached by a mysterious woman as the other students search for Viola. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Soul Connection Chapter 1: An Odd Meeting

The Soul Connection Chapter 12: Cuts and Bruises

The Soul Connection Chapter 7: The Dangers of Mine