The Soul Connection Chapter 9: The Girl Who Cried Wolf

Chapter 9: The Girl Who Cried Wolf

???: Viola? Where are you? Please. Tell me, where are you? 
Viola: What? I don't know. 
???: Tell me. Please.  

Viola: Uh....where am I? Is this...is this a dream? 
*there's a squeak in the distance* 
Viola: Hello? 

Viola: What....what happened to me? Where is my bedroom?
???: Help me out, Vi. I can't find you. 
Viola: Where am I? 

Viola: *rising to her feet* I don't know. The room is darkness, and without light I cannot see much. All I see is darkness. Why? 
???: You know why. 
Viola: Huh? Who said that? 

Victoria: I did. Hello, Viola. 
Viola: Who...who are you exactly? 
Victoria: My name is Victoria Flemming and I'm a voice in thta pretty little head of yours. I am dead, sweetheart. 

Viola: Dead...no, you couldn't be...no. 
Victoria: Derrick is dead. You didn't question him. 
Viola: I don't believe you. 

Victoria: Do you know where you are, Viola? 
Viola: No...I don't know. Tell me. 
Victoria: You are here. The chamber of nightmares. We are your dreams now. 

Viola: I don't know who you are. I don't know how you know me. 
Victoria: You know us. My name is Victoria and I haunt your soul. I am dead. 
 Viola: You haunt...you haunt my soul. How? 

Victoria: We were tethered to your soul after the death of... after the death of a man much older. He didn't care for us, but we cared for him. Did he ever speak about lost souls or marvelous recoveries? 
Viola: Recoveries...did you help me? Did you help my grandfather? 
Victoria: Yes and yes. When he died, we transfered to you. 

Viola: I don't understand....what did my grandfather do? 
Victoria: To deserve souls to haunt his body? He released us, of course. 
Viola: He...released you? Why? 

Victoria: He was a foolish man. Fools make the most terrible mistakes. 
Viola: But-
*she disappears* 

Viola: Victoria Flemming? Where are you? 
*Silence* 
Viola: I want to know more. Please.  

Sean: You want to know more? Welcome, Viola. My name is-
Viola: Tell me about my grandfather. 
Sean: I never met him. My name is Sean Whittaker. 

Viola: You...you never met my grandfather? Why? 
Sean: I died after him, dear. 
Viola: What? When did you die? 

Sean: You're awfully full of questions. You heard my name and now you want my life story. I'm busy. 
Viola: What...what are you doing to this woman? 
Sean: You want answers. I want to be alive. 

*he leaps towards Viola* 

Sean: I couldn't cure myself from an illness, so I died. May 10th, 2009. I've spent the last seven years praying this is some sick dream, but it isn't. 
Viola: *coughing* Please....no....you....can't...

Viola: This is a dream. This is a dream. 
Sean: I told myself that for too long. It's all real. 
Viola: No, it's not. 

Sean: I'm afraid it is. You asked me why I didn't know your grandfather and I answered. When he died, two souls transfered from his soul to yours. Two new souls found a connection. 
Viola: *whispering* No...

*he disappears* 

Viola: I should wake up. Why won't I wake up? 
???: This dream doesn't work the same, darling. 
Viola: Who said that? 

Dorothy: I did. Good evening, Viola. My name is Dorothy. 
Viola: Dorothy...you don't look recent. 
Dorothy: No, I am not. I died in the 1600s. 

Viola: *puffing* You....you died so long ago. You must have known my grandfather. 
Dorothy: I did know him. Victor Dalton. He didn't much care for us. 
Viola: Us? You and Victoria? 

Dorothy: No talking. You have been charged with the account of witchcraft. You have been found guilty, having not confessed to the crime. Any last words? 
Viola: Witchcraft...I...Me? 

Dorothy: Those are terrible last words. How about you, Sarah? 
Sarah: I pity the men and women who sin. I pity myself. 
Viola: I don't understand! 

Sarah: This is a hanging. I myself am to be hanged, and it seems they come to hang you too. 
 Viola: I don't think so. I won't be hanged. Not now.

Dorothy: I like the attitude you have, Viola. An improvement from your grandfather. 
Viola: Were there only two souls haunting his? 
Dorothy: No. There was three. A male named Lewis. 

Viola: Tell me...tell me about him. 
*Silence. She has disappeared.* 
Viola: Oh no. Derrick.  

 Viola: Derrick. Are you okay? I'm coming. 
Derrick: ...
Viola: Derrick, wake up!
 
Derrick: Viola...is that...you? 
Viola: Yes, it's me. Arre you okay? What happened? 
Derrick: ...

Viola: Wake up. Please. 
Derrick: You need to run, Viola. Leave me. 
Viola: I couldn't. You saved me. 

*there's a change* 

Derrick: I'll say my thank you's now. 
Viola: How did this happen? Derrick...

Derrick: We don't have much time. They'll find us. 
Viola: Derrick? Who will find us? 
Derrick: The other souls. They don't like this. 

Viola: I could sit here forever. I know this is only a dream. 
Derrick: You need to flee from that academy. Run. As fast as you can. 
Viola: Why? 

Derrick: I am scared for you, is all. You need to run. 
Viola: I can handle myself, Derrick. 
Derrick: There are dark forces surrounding you. 

Viola: I can handle the dark forces. 
Daniel: Viola? What are you talking about? 
Viola: Daniel? 

*laughing* 
Daniel: Dark forces? You've been watching too much television. 
Viola: No, I haven't. He told me about dark forces.  

Daniel: Who's this guy? Is he someone I should be worried about? 
Viola: No. I need to go. 

 -----

Viola: *waking up* I need to go. I need to go. 
Jeana: Viola? Are you awake? 

Viola: I need to...go to the bathroom. You continue sleeping, J. 
Jeana: Okay. *sleeps* 
Viola: I need to go.  

Viola: I need to run. I need to run. 

.
.

Viola: *running* I need to run. Away from the academy, I am. 
I need to run. 
 
Viola: *entering the building* Hello? Is anyone here? 
I was told to come here. 
 ???: Yoohoo. Over here. 
Viola: I don't want the big summer blowout. 

Astrid: My name is Astrid. May I be of any help to you, girl?
 Viola: My name is Viola-
Astrid: I know your name. 

Viola: I was told to come here. I was told I come here to escape. 
Astrid: Follow me, Viola Dalton. Welcome. 

 ------

Daniel: Okay, I'm here. What is this meeting about because I was in the middle of a very important meeting. 
Mr Quinlan: Sit down, Daniel. This is more important. 

Daniel: Somehow I think that is a lie. 
Mr Quinlan: I'm sorry, Daniel. Is the current location of your girlfriend not important to you? 
Daniel: Where is she? Sleeping? 

Melanie: I cannot believe you, Daniel. You aren't curious to know why she isn't in this room? Is it because you only care about yourself? How does she still even stand to be around you? 
Daniel: Is she sleeping? You haven't answered me. 

Justin: She's not sleeping, Daniel. 
Daniel: What? Is she eating then? 
Justin: No, she's not. 

Finn: Do you want me to just throw his ass out of this room and forget about it? 
April: No, don't do that. Calm down, Finn. 
Finn: Oh sure. Whatever. 

Daniel: Where is she then, huh? Cheating on me with some freshman? Is that it? You wanted to soften the blow. 
April: It's not that, Daniel. It's-

Mr Quinlan: Viola is missing. She wasn't asleep in her bed this morning, and her roommate told us she left to pee in the middle of the night. Something happened to her. 
Daniel: What? 

Mr Quinlan: I need to go. The headmaster requested I follow him to some meeting regarding the protocol for this situation. Find her, okay? 
Daniel: Did someone kidnap her? I feel so terrible. 

*Mr Quinlan exits* 
Daniel: Where did she go? She's not in the girls' bathroom? 
Melanie: She isn't, Daniel. She left the academy grounds.  

Daniel: I will find her. She cannot have wondered off too far, if she simply did wander off. 
Justin: You don't think someone kidnapped her? 
Daniel: Nonsense. 

Daniel: I will find her. I can, and I know where to look. She's not willing to hide herself. 
Finn: You're pathetic. You treat her like nothing. 
April: Finn. You don't need to lash out at him. 

*the door opens* 

Tessa: That man stole my son! I cannot find him! 
Marcos: You visited us to steal our son! What a sick man! 

Daniel: I didn't steal your son. He ran away because you don't treat him like he should be. You baby him, and he doesn't like that. 
Melanie: He stole a child? Oh hell no. 
Daniel: I didn't steal Keith. 

Tessa: You conned him. You told him lies and he jumped into the back of your white van. 
Daniel: I...no. 
Tessa: You stole him for us and now you will pay. I've called the police. 

Daniel: Your son ran away. I don't know where he is, but I can help you find him. 
Tessa: Lies! Don't come near him or us! 

Daniel: You're walking toward me, ma'am. 
Tessa: I'm telling this to you now. If I find out you are involved in the kidnapping of my son, you will be punished.
Daniel: I won't be punished for something I have no knowledge of, ma'am. 

Marcos: Maybe we should head back to the house? Maybe he returned? 
Tessa: Not yet, Marcos. Hold on. 

Melanie: Daniel, return their child to them. You need to leave them alone. 
Daniel: I didn't steal the child!
April: Prove that to them. 
Finn: Wouldn't that be hard for him, though? 

Marcos: Listen to your peers. Tell us where he is. 
Daniel: I don't know. 
Tessa: He won't listen to you, Marcos. He's a child boy. 

Daniel: What did you call me? 
Tessa: You're childish. You won't listen to instructions. 
Daniel: You will regret that. 

April: Justin...are you ready? 
Justin: I think so. No, I know so. I am ready. 
April: I'm glad. She's waiting for you. 

Tessa: We're leaving now. We'll be keeping an eye on you, Daniel. 
Marcos: Goodbye. We hope you find Viola. 

 Daniel: Don't remind me of her disappearance. Go find your son. 
Melanie: Sure. Use the fake tears now. 

April: Justin...what's wrong? 
Justin: I've been waiting forever to meet my grandmother. I never knew she died.

 -----

Justin: Mother....
Samantha: I'll be meeting my mother. I spent all these years thinking I'd never see her face in person. 
Justin: She's a ghost, mum. Dead. 

Samantha: I know. I wish she wasn't but I know it happened years ago. 
Justin: We must be glad she's here. If she had died anywhere else....

Samantha: Are you ready for this, Justin? You can finally meet your grandmother.
Justin: I'm ready. You can finally meet the woman who gave birth to you. 

*they enter* 

Samantha: Mother? It's me. Samantha Fox. 
Elizabeth: It is. I can't believe it. 

Samantha: Why is she not moving? Is that a law of souls? She's forced to sit in a chair all day? 
Justin: No, mum. She's breathing. She's accepting this all. 
Samantha: Okay. 

Elizabeth: Samantha....you're beautiful.
Samantha: Mother...I've waited for this moment my entire life. 
Elizabeth: I've waited since my death date. I've waited too long. 

Samantha: What do we do now? Can I hug a ghost? 
Justin: You can, mum. You can hug her for as long as you'd like. 

Elizabeth: You've grown. I remember this little baby. I never could see much of your life. 
Samantha: I never even remembered you. Father...he told me stories. 

Elizabeth: My grandson. You're...you are so old now. At least twenty, perhaps? 
Justin: No, not yet. 
Elizabeth: I do not care. I've found you; my family. 

Justin: Family. My grandmother.
Elizabeth: I'm too young to be a grandmother. I'm too dead to be one. 
Justin: That doesn't matter, gran. 

Samantha: Justin...
Justin: Mother...we can sort throught this. She's our family now. 
Samantha: I know. I wish she didn't die. I needed a mother. 

Elizabeth: I know. I wish I didn't leave you, but I needed to. No, I did. On accident. 
Samantha: How did you...die? 
Elizabeth: I was caught in an act of survival. I lost the battle. 

Samamtha: What happened to you? 
Justin: Mum...this would be sensative for her. 
Samantha: I'm sorry. You don't need to tell us. 

Elizabeth: It's okay. I've spent these past years forgetting about the accident, but now I should remember it. The six of us were close friends with secrets. I was dragged too deep, and in my attempt to escape, I found myself here again. That is when....when a soul escaped the alternate and devoured me.

Samantha: That sounds horrible. What happened to your body? 
Justin: Mother...
Samantha: She's telling the story, Justin. 

Elizabeth: Nobody ever found it, but they found my coat. This coat. I don't know what exactly happened, but I think...I think someone stole my body. 
Samantha: What? 

Justin: Stole your body? What do you mean exactly? Do you mean they hid the remains or....something else? 
Samantha: Something else? What? 

Elizabeth: There is rumours. Rumours that certain souls possess the ability to escape into the living world by 'trading places' with the soul of a living human. I believe that happened to me. 
Justin: Someone...someone switched places with you. 
Samantha: Would they look like you? 

Elizabeth: I would not know. I don't even know if that happened. It is only rumours, after all. 
Justin: But if someone did? 
Elizabeth: They would be dangerous. Once deceased, souls develop powers. Powers dangerous and destructive. 

 -----

Astrid: Follow me please. Watch your step in case you fall face-first due to some broken pebbles or something. 
Viola: I'm not blind. I can see where I am going. 

Astrid: I am glad. This is the tunnel to the future of your visit. Once you've entered this tunnel, you cannot leave until you've finished here. Understand? 
Viola: Yeah, yeah. 
Astrid: This is a dangerous territory. 

Viola: You can cure me. These voice in my head won't leave me alone. That dream I experienced last night-
Astrid: It was a sign. A sign you followed correctly by visiting us. Thank you. 

Dorothy: Where is she going? We shouldn't have left the academy. 
Astrid: Tell them to shut up.
Viola: Huh? 

Sean: Dorothy, dear. We wished that we could escape, but maybe this tunnel could help us. 
Dorothy: Are you insane, dear? A bunch of stones cannot help us. 

Victoria: Not the stones. Not the tunnel itself. I can hear something. 
Sean: You hear it too. Escape. 
Dorothy: I cannot hear much. 

 Sean: Continue walking, Derrick. Nobody has forgiven you for ruining the brilliant plan. 
Derrick: ...
Sean: Oh great! He won't speak anymore.
 
Astrid: The entrance is around this bend. Anything you see in here in confidential and if you speak one word to anyone about your treatment, we will hunt you down. Got that? 
Viola: Yes. Save me. I have sins in my skin. 

Astrid: Indeed. The rare symptoms and effects you are experiencing are definitely the work of an enemy. You will be perfectly free after our treatments. 
Viola: Thank you. I don't want to become insane. I hate it. 

Derrick: You...you think...she's wishing to cleanse herself of us?
Victoria: Yes, braniac. She wants to be free. 
Dorothy: No more spirits. No more us. 

Astrid: Follow me.
Viola: I am following you. 
Astrid: Good. I will be guiding you for the duration of your visit. 

Viola: This...this place...this is it? 
Astrid: Yes, this is it. Welcome to Ravena, the wellness and rejuvenation retreat for those who ask. Everyone here is here for a specific purpose, much like yourself. 

Astrid: Those patients are only napping. They are healthier now after experiencing our treatments. Provided their cases were less...severe than yours. 
Viola: It wouldn't be often that someone would ask to be free from souls, would it? 

Astrid: No. It isn't. Your case is extremely rare, but we can achieve it. We don't think anything is impossible here. Even the impossible is possible if you truly believe, Viola. I will leave you alone for a moment.
Sean: She's manipulating her. I say we run. 
Victoria: We cannot. We are stuck. 

*Astrid leaves* 
 Viola: I am committing to this. I won't become insane. These voices will leave my head. 
???: Viola Dalton? Please, sit down. 
Viola: Huh? Oh. 

Cole: Thank you. 
Viola: Who are you? Are you the leader? 
Cole: *laughs* No, I'm not. My name is Cole and I think we need to discuss something important. 

________________________________

Next time on The Soul Connection: Viola inches closer and closer to freeing herself from the souls when her stay at the wellness centre is extended. Mr Quinlan visits his first wife, only to uncover surprising information. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Soul Connection Chapter 1: An Odd Meeting

The Soul Connection Chapter 12: Cuts and Bruises

The Soul Connection Chapter 7: The Dangers of Mine