The Soul Connection Chapter 10: Butterfly

Chapter 10: Butterfly

Viola: You wanted to talk to me, sir? When will treatment begin? 
Cole: I'll ask the questions, miss. 
Viola: Sure, go ahead. 

Cole: I've heard many stories about kind like your own. I asked you to chat with me today before you speak with our 'leader', as you called it. 
Viola: What are they then? 
Cole: She is our governess. 

Cole: Her position is irrelevant to this conversation, Viola. I'd like to discuss the souls you claim are attacking you. Do you know them? 
Viola: Huh. I don't know them. 
Cole: Let me be frank. Have you seen them in dreams or in nightmares? 

Viola: Uh...I, uh...yes, I have. 
Cole: If you wouldn't mind, can you explain them? 
Viola: Explain them? Oh. 

Viola: There are...there are four of them. All dead. 
Cole: I need the specifics, Viola. Please. 
Viola: Oh. Sorry. There are...two women; two men. This one girl has brown hair and looks like she is from the 1920s. Uh...another is blonde, male. He...did save me, once. Another blonde...a woman. I think...maybe she is obsessed with hanging. The last one...he's a scientist. Black hair.

Cole: That's interesting. It's strange, really. The different personalities.
Viola: I...I suppose so. 
Cole: The different time periods. It's rather strange. 

Viola: They...they may have mentioned my...he is my grandfather. They mentioned him often...in the dream. 
Cole: This dream. It only occured once? 
 Viola: Last night. Yes. Never before.

Cole: Well, there is always brilliant news! You can be cured, Viola. Our treatment is extensive, but nevertheless, it can be done. 
Viola: How long will it take, sir? 
Cole: We guarantee you will be perfectly normal in no time. 

Viola: No time? You could be done with me by tomorrow morning? 
Cole: Not exactly, but soon enough. In good time, I suppose. 
Viola: I want to be free. You don't understand that. 

Cole: Don't doubt what I understand, Viola. I've experienced many things in my life besides the normal daily occurences.
Viola: I didn't question that, sir. I'm...I just hurt with the souls dragging around behind me. 

Cole: We can help you. I promise that much. 
Viola: Save me. Please. 
Cole: I will. 

*the door opens* 
Viola: I do bet everyone is searching for me, but my own personal struggles come first. I wouldn't be bothered waiting to tell them.
Cole: You'd only confuse them, Viola. It's best that they do not know. 

Viola: That is wise, sir. I have a question-
Cole: Nurse! Wonderful news, really. 
Viola: Sir? 

Nurse: No good news from me, I'm afraid. I must request you follow me, promptly. 
Cole: If I must. 
Viola: Sir, may I ask-

Cole: Viola, wait here. The governess will be here shortly. 
Viola: Sir, I have one last question. 
Cole: Ask her.

Nurse: Right this way, Cole. Please, be hasty. 
Cole: I'm coming. Goodbye, Viola. I'll see you after your transformation. 
Nurse: It's very important, sir. Hurry. 

Cole: What is the problem, Nurse? 
Viola: My transformation? I'm not a caterpillar, sir. 
Cole: I suppose that is correct. 

*the nurse and Cole leave* 

Viola: *voice over* This is the time, Vi. Free from the souls haunting your body. Free from the torture. Why does it feel so right yet so wrong? Why? 
Victoria: Don't do this to us, Viola. 
Sean: You are better than this. 
Derrick: Trust us. 

Viola: I don't think I can. 
*she enters* 
The Governess: Viola Dalton? You must be waiting for me. My name is Cassandra. 

Viola: *turning around* I am...wait...I know who you are. 
Cassandra: I seriously doubt that, dear. I do not leave this institute. 
Viola: No, I've seen you before. You....

Cassandra: You wouldn't remember me, darling. I've never left this building. 
Viola: You have. I remember you. 

-----

Mr Quinlan: Sir? I've been meaning to talk with you since yesterday. 
I do apologize.

Roscoe: Do not worry about it, Jacob. We did catch who was trying to break into the science lab, so nothing to complain about. 
Mr Quinlan: That's great to hear, sir. 
Roscoe: Why did you need to speak to me? 

Mr Quinlan: In order to find our missing student, I need to be excused to visit someone. My ex wife, to be precise. 
Roscoe: Isn't she here today? 
 Mr Quinlan: The other one, sir.

Roscoe: Oh, okay sir. If that will help find Viola Dalton, please go ahead. Classes will continue without you. 
Mr Quinlan: Thank you, sir. 

Mr Quinlan: I will be back soon, sir. Hopefully with some useful information. 
Roscoe: Okay. Good luck. 
Mr Quinlan: I won't disappoint you again, sir. 

Roscoe: If you say so.
 
...

 
Mr Quinlan: Kyra! Hey! Can we please talk? It's important. 
Kyra: Is it? Hmm.
Mr Quinlan: Hey, someone is missing. 

Kyra: It isn't some new wife of yours is it? Because if so, I'm busy. 
Mr Quinlan: No! It's a student! Her name is Viola!

Kyra: Fine, I'm coming. Ugh. Close, stupid door. 
Mr Quinlan: I'm sorry, I couldn't hear that last bit. 
Kyra: I said, 'That front door is stupid'. 

*she opens the door* 
Mr Quinlan: Nice place you have here. You moved here when? 
Kyra: Two years ago. December 8th. 

Mr Quinlan: It's lovely. Definitely you. 
Kyra: 'Cause you know who I am. I 'changed', remember? 
Mr Quinlan: I didn't come here to discuss why we split. 

Kyra: You don't want to? How disappointing. That's why I let you inside. 
Mr Quinlan: Kyra, have you talked with Naomi since last week? 
Kyra: No, I haven't. She's your daughter too, Jacob. 

Mr Quinlan: I know, I know. I've been busy, is all. 
Kyra: Call her. She misses her father.
Mr Quinlan: I know. 

Kyra: So, can we discuss this Viola girl? Why is she missing? 
Did you scare her? 
Mr Quinlan: No, nothing like that. She completely disappeared. 
Kyra: She did. Kidnapped? 

 Mr Quinlan: Possibly, but not in the academy. Maybe she left for a walk and...
Kyra: They kidnapped her. Whoever. 
Mr Quinlan: Or maybe not. 

Kyra: You don't think she's off on some walk in the forest-
Mr Quinlan: She would have told someone. 
Kyra: Maybe she didn't. 

Mr Quinlan: I don't know. She would have left a note. 
Kyra: Jacob, I have an idea. Teenage girls are troublesome.
Mr Quinlan: How is that an idea? 

Kyra: Let me finish. Years ago, when I was studying at that exact academy, I was a troublesome teenage girl. I met...I met this woman. Dark hair. 
Mr Quinlan: I don't see-
Kyra: Let me finish. This woman told me about this underground series of caves not too far from the academy. Something about power, too. 

Mr Quinlan: You think Viola found these caves? Maybe she's searching for them? 
Kyra: She would find them. They are real. 
Mr Quinlan: You would know. 

Kyra: I do know. I visited them. Wonderful, really. 
Mr Quinlan: If you say so. 
Kyra: You ask for my help and then belittle me because you do not understand my ideas? You're a fool, Jacob. 

Mr Quinlan: I don't think I need your help anymore. 
Kyra: Oh really. Search for kidnappers, but this Viola Dalton is different. 
Mr Quinlan: I never told you her last name. 

Kyra: You didn't need to tell me, Jacob! I know who she is!
Mr Quinlan: How? Have you been...following her? 
Kyra: No. It is my....my job. 

Mr Quinlan: What is your job now, Kyra? Stalking. 
Kyra: I told you; I don't follow her! 
You doubt me too often, Jacob. 

Mr Quinlan: Do I? I rarely see you. 
Kyra: Do not use that as an excuse! 
Mr Quinlan: You're a downward spiral, Kyra. 

Kyra: I suppose you should be leaving now. 
I don't think you're welcome here. 
 Mr Quinlan: I'm on my out. I'll see you in hell.

----

Melanie: *voice over* I'm meeting with these two students. They're new, much like me, but I suppose what stands out the most for them is that they requested for someone like them to help.

Melanie: *voice over* While most students arrived on day one, these two were latecomers and are a bit confused. Mostly with the size of this academy and all. I'll help them out, I suppose. I can help.

Ali: *singing* There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby. 
Seth: You play the uke, huh? That's cool.
Ali: It is. *singing* Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue. 

Melanie: You're a wonderful singer, Alison. 
Ali: Ah! You scared me. 
Melanie: I'm so sorry. I thought you were great, is all. Hey, Seth. 

Seth: You must be Melanie Hale, huh? 
I guess that's how you know our names. 
Melanie: Yeah, you can call me Mel though. I don't mind. 

Ali: Don't call me Alison. I'd prefer Ali. 
Melanie: Got it. 
Seth: Seth is fine with me. Not much you can really do with my name anyway. 

Melanie: So how do you like this academy so far?
Ali: From what I've seen, it's nice. Not as nice as the people.

Melanie: Well, you can expect to be treated well here. 
Ali: I'm glad. 
Melanie: You haven't even met the nicest of them all. April Landon.  

...

Seth: That's sweet! You must show me the cemetery later today! 
Melanie: You're in luck! It's part of our tour. 
Seth: It's weird to think an academy has a graveyard. 

Melanie: Yeah, well...no, you don't need to know that. 
Seth: Know what? 
Melanie: I'll tell you later. 

Melanie: Who's ready for this tour? I know I am. 
Ali: Yeah! Let's go! 
Seth: No need to scream. Unless we see some ghosts! Oooh. 
 
...

 
Melanie: April, you've got to help me. 
April: What? I thought the tour is going well.
Melanie: It isn't the tour. I think...I think I like both of them. 

April: Like? As in...you think you could be friends with them? 
Melanie: No...I mean, I could, but...
April: You're attracted to both of them. 

Melanie: Yeah. That. 
April: You only just met them. Maybe it'll change once you know them better.
Melanie: What if it doesn't? What if I like them both forever? 

April: Uh...I don't know. Surely you'll think of something. 
Melanie: If I don't? I'm suppose to forget about them because I can't choose. 
April: No. Don't do that. We'll think of something. 

April: I have an idea. 
Melanie: Why do I have to lean in like this? Nobody can hear us. 
April: I don't care. Anyway, my idea is this: Talk to them. Get to know them. 

Melanie: I suppose if I continue to understand who they are, maybe my mind will change. I'm glad you understand, April. 
April: Hey, I won't judge you for who you are. 
Melanie: Thank you. 

April: You're my friend, Mel. Maybe we're different but we're friends because we are. I will help you whenever you need me. 
Melanie: What did I do to deserve to be friends with April Landon? 
April: I'm not that special. 

Melanie: No, you are. You're helping me and that makes you important to me. 
April: I always want to help, Mel. 
Melanie: I need to return to this tour. 
Those two are waiting for me outside. 

April: Okay, I'll see you soon.

----

Cassandra: This is your new home while you stay with us. 
Welcome home, Viola. 
Viola: Can I freshen up soon? My make-up is a mess. 
Cassandra: Our guests aren't allowed to wear make-up. 

 Viola: This place is...nice, I suppose. It's quaint and cosy. Not much room.
Cassandra: You don't need a master bed in here. This isn't a hotel.

Viola: A table...no chairs. They operate in here? 
Cassandra: When we first built this facility, we didn't intend to operate. No room for operating anywhere else. Here would do. 
Viola: Oh. 

Viola: This facility is rather white and blue. Calming colours, I assume.
You wanted to calm the patients? 
Cassandra: Our guests. We wanted to calm them, yes. 
Viola: You don't like the word 'patient' then? 

Cassandra: It is demeaning. Calling them a name other than guests can seem too isolated. 
Viola: So you prefer to be close? 
Cassandra: Yes. 

Viola: There aren't cameras in this room, are there? You won't spy on me. 
Cassandra: We protect our guests and we do that by carefully guarding them. Maybe we can be over-controlling, but it is for a cause. 

*the sound of footsteps can be heard* 

Melissa: You won't catch me! 
Viola: Who is that? 
Melissa: I'll be safe in here. 

Cassandra: I can deal with her myself. 
Please, be comfortable with this room. 
 Melissa: Someone is here! Oh no! Ah!

Cassandra: Melissa, what are you doing out here? If I am not wrong, this is your treatment time. Please head back. 
Melissa: No, I couldn't. 
Cassandra: If I must then. 

Melissa: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! 
Cassandra: I'm sorry if this upsets you, Viola, but our guests tend to experience...unusual tendencies. Such as screaming at inanimate objects and running away.

Viola: What are you doing to her? Stop it! 
Melissa: ...
Viola: Did you...kill her? 

Cassandra: She isn't dead, no. She's merely sleeping.
You would believe that I would kill someone? 
Viola: I don't know what to believe. 

Dorothy: Leave this place. Run. 
Viola: Ah! There... there she is. 
Sean: Listen to her. This place is not safe. 

Casssandra: The voices. They are there, aren't they? Convincing you to leave. 
Viola: They do not control me. 
Cassandra: So you will stay? 
Viola: No. 

Viola: *running away* I couldn't stay here! This is who I am.
Cassandra: We can help you. 
Viola: No, you can't. Stay away from me and my friends. 

...

Viola: I need to run. 
Derrick: Yes. 
Viola: Where are you? Show yourself, Derrick. 

Derrick: I am right here, Viola. I'm so sorry for your nightmare. 
They threatened me. They told me I'd be obliterated. 

Viola: It's fine, Derrick. I'm happy to see you. To think I might have considered changing who I am. To what? Stay sane. 
Derrick: Stay sane? 
Viola: I don't care if people think I'm insane. I trust you. 

Derrick: I trust you. Now run. They will be coming for you.
Viola: Why? 
Derrick: You know too much. 

Viola: I know too much. This little facility won't be forever. 
Victoria: No, you are right. You are always right. 
Viola: You. I should blame you. 

Victoria: Yes, I will understand if you do. This is mainly my fault. I nearly forced you to change yourself. For what? Society? 
Viola: For myself. I was selfish. 

Victoria: I wouldn't have cared if you destroyed us, but I care that you didn't. Thank you. 
Viola: I guess I can accept that. Thank you for appearing to me.
You woke me up. 

Viola: *running* Now I must leave. 
This place will burn with sin.

Dorothy: Well done, kiddo. I'm very proud of you. You woke up. 
Sean: Sometimes we can be too selfish. We do apologise for attempting to escape through your body. 
Viola: Don't attempt that again. 

Victoria: We won't. 

______________________________

Next time on The Soul Connection: Melanie, Finn, Justin and April find themselves in contact with the deceased after the discovery of something new. Daniel plots to murder someone closeby. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Soul Connection Chapter 1: An Odd Meeting

The Soul Connection Chapter 12: Cuts and Bruises

The Soul Connection Chapter 7: The Dangers of Mine