The Soul Connection Chapter 12: Cuts and Bruises

Chapter 12: Cuts and Bruises

April: You wanted to tell me something, Justin? 
Justin: Right. I don't know if right now is exactly the right-
April: Not the right time? Why? 

Ari: I get it. You don't want me involved with whatever is happening. 
Justin: Hey, you'll know eventually. 
Ari: Eventually isn't right now, is it? 

April: Hey, you can tell me later. It's fine. 
Justin: Okay. I'm so sorry, Ari. We can talk tomorrow, I promise. 
April: Me too? Or just him? 
Justin: Both of you. 

Ari: No, Justin, it's perfectly fine. 
I'm not your closest friend yet, and I get that. 
Justin: Hey. Things are...strange right now. 
Ari: Right. I can leave if you want me to. 

Justin: No, stay here. I'm sorry for not telling you yet. 
Ari: It's fine, Justin. 
Justin: I'm glad you didn't kill yourself, Ari.
I can see us becoming good friends. 

Ari: I do too. I'm glad Finn saved me. 
April: We never really discussed that, did we? Who know Finn had that in him? 
Justin: Somehow I doubt that will be his last true act. 

Ari: Well, bless him! Hey, Justin. What's up? 
Justin: I don't know.
Ari: You feeling okay? 

Justin: I'm...oh hell no. 
Ari: What? What are you looking at? 
Justin: That woman...she's following me. 

Ari: Following you? What? 
Justin: I've seen her since we returned from the graveyard. She's stalking me. 
Daniel: What's that, Justin? 
Justin: Oh shut up, Daniel. 

Dana: Christ.
Justin: Maybe she wants me dead. This feels like that. 
Dana: I'm out. Daniel. I'm out for now. 

Justin: She's leaving now. It's fine.
Ari: Hey, are you definitely okay?
Justin: Yeah, I'm perfect. 

.
.

  Melanie: Daniel. Hello. 
Daniel: Hello, Melanie. How are you? 
Melanie: Simply wonderful. Yourself? 
Daniel: Better and better.  
Finn: Yo Daniel. 
Daniel: Yo. 
Finn: You came to talk with us or just your girlfriend? 
Daniel: All of you, actually. 

Viola: You haven't seen Jeana, have you? She's been missing for some time. 
And no, it's not a toilet break. 
Daniel: I'm sure she's somewhere. It's only been half an hour. 
Melanie: *whispering* He's probably locked her in his dungeon. 

Viola: What was that, Melanie? 
Melanie: Oh. I just said, 'She's probably wandering the halls or something.' 
Viola: Right. Well, wherever she is, I'm sure she is fine. 
No one would kidnap her here. 

Finn: I'm sure she will turn up, Viola. 
Maybe she went for a walk in the woods. 
Viola: That wouldn't be her. She'd ask me to come with her. 
Finn: I just wanted to shift the topic from dungeons.  

Melanie: *whispering* Finn...what are you doing? 
Finn: *whispering* You mentioned them first. 
Viola: Dungeons? There are none here at the academy. 

Justin: Just got confirmation that there are no dungeons here. 
Ari: Dammit! 
April: That would have been an adventure. 
Justin: Yeah, I know. 

----

Mr Quinlan: You wished to see me? Please, sit down. 
You don't want to sit down? Will this be a short chat? 
Daniel: No. I will sit in a moment. 
Mr Quinlan: Whenever you'd like, Mr Peyton. Your clothes? 

Daniel: I was...I was out jogging. I need to speak with you, sir. 
Mr Quinlan: Open up, if you must. Is this about Viola? 
Daniel: Uh...it is, yeah. 

Mr Quinlan: Well, you understand I'm not a guidance counselor or something like that, so I cannot entirely help you if something is the problem. 
Daniel: Promise me, sir, you cannot help me. 
Mr Quinlan: Daniel, you shouldn't think about it that way. 

Daniel: I'm afraid my actions have secured my fate, sir. 
Mr Quinlan: What do you mean by that? You are the decider. 
Daniel: I'm a terrible person. 

Mr Quinlan: Now that is far too harsh on yourself. Where is the Daniel Peyton I met last year? 
Daniel: I...I think I lost that boy, sir. 
Mr Quinlan: Lost him? 

Daniel: I'm afraid I am a changed man, Mr Quinlan. I don't know when this change happened, but it did happen. You must understand-
Mr Quinlan: Understand? That you changed, I suppose. 
Daniel: Yes. 

Mr Quinlan: So you've changed? Such a thing is common with teenagers of your age, Daniel. Don't worry about that. 
Daniel: I must confess to my actions, sir. You-
Mr Quinlan: I'm only your teacher. Not some religious priest. 

Daniel: I was never an overly religious boy, sir. I don't believe in a god who can prevent us from a life of unholy sins. He cannot hold me down. 
Mr Quinlan: You're an atheist then? 
Daniel: That isn't what I wanted to discuss! 

Mr Quinlan: Okay, great. If you could please tell me, maybe I can help. 
Daniel: If you say so.
Mr Quinlan: You continue with that attitude, Mr Peyton, and I will call in an actual helper. 

Daniel: Please, sir. No, don't. 
Mr Quinlan: Then please start talking. 
Daniel: I will...but I need to know what to say. I was never that good with words, sir. 

Mr Quinlan: You can't use that as an excuse anymore, Daniel.
I've seen your public speeches recently. 
Daniel: What can I say? I'm a natural at manipulating the mind! 
Mr Quinlan: Stay on topic, Daniel. 

Daniel: Right, enough stalling he says. I must come clean now or forever hold my peace, like at a wedding. 
Mr Quinlan: This isn't a wedding. 
Daniel: I know that, of course! I was comparing, see? 

Mr Quinlan: Daniel, I can sense that whatever you want to tell me is something you are battling deep inside. If you'd rather not tell me-
Daniel: I'd rather tell you! 
Mr Quinlan: Well, please continue without these comparisons. 

Daniel: As I was saying, I must come clean. I-
*there's a knock on the door* 
Daniel: Someone's here. Tell them to leave. 
Mr Quinlan: I can't do that. It's open!  

*Viola enters* 
Viola: Afternoon, Mr Quinlan! I just wanted to stop by to talk to you about our assignment. Oh hey, Danny. 
Daniel: We were in the middle of a conversation. 

Mr Quinlan: Daniel, we can continue talking in a minute. 
Viola, can you come back soon? 
Victoria: Scream and fight, I say. You aren't against that right now, Vi. 
Mr Quinlan: Viola? Would you like to talk afterwards? 

Viola: I suppose I can come back. You'll be here? 
Mr Quinlan: Of course I will be. 
Viola: Okay, sounds good. 

Daniel: So can we continue our conversation now? 
Mr Quinlan: Be patient, Daniel. Don't tell me you lost your manners in the change? 
Sean: Oh snap. I've been quite entertained today. 

Derrick: It's been average for me. 
Viola: *whispering* Derrick. Where have you been? 
Derrick: Today's not exactly my favourite day. An anniversary of sorts. 
Viola: Well it's great to see you back. 

Victoria: We will stay in here for you, Viola. 
Keep watch. 
Dorothy: It seems only fitting since our betrayal. 
Sean: Our thank you for not continuing to rid us. 

Daniel: Mr Quinlan, sir? Are you okay, staring off in the distance? 
Mr Quinlan: I'm fine, I'm fine. 
 Just thought someone else was here. 
Daniel: As in Viola? Who should be leaving. 

Mr Quinlan: Again, Daniel, use your manners. 
Daniel: I'm not a kindergartner, sir. My girlfriend understands when she isn't wanted in here.
Mr Quinlan: You really shouldn't treat her like that. Give her respect. 

Viola: No, Mr Quinlan, you don't need to protect me.
I understand. I'm leaving now anyway. 
Daniel: Thank you. Meet me outside your room tonight? 
Viola: Sure. 

Mr Quinlan: I'll ask Daniel to fetch you once we're done here.
Viola: Thank you, Mr Quinlan.
You can continue talking with Daniel now.
Mr Quinlan: We will. 

Dorothy: Let the games begin. 
Victoria: Oh please. They already began. 
Derrick: She's right. Ever since the accident. 
Sean: We aren't bringing that up right now, are we? 

Mr Quinlan: Now where were we? 
Daniel: I needed to confess to something, sir. 
Mr Quinlan: Right. Well then...I don't have all day. 

Daniel: Well. Well. Well. I suppose now is the time for my words to fail me. 
Mr Quinlan: Don't fool around with me, Daniel. 
Daniel: I'm not...fooling around with you, sir. I...do you remember Viola's accident a while back? I was involved with that. 

Victoria: That sick bastard. 
Sean: Listen, Victoria, it was an accident. 
Victoria: You think I believe that? Do you see how Daniel treats her? 
Sean: So he'd try to hurt her-

Mr Quinlan: Involved? You witnessed the accident? 
Daniel: Let me tell it how it is. I was driving that other car. I crashed into her. 
I lost control and it was my fault. 
Dorothy: Lost control? Hm. 

Mr Quinlan: It was an accident. You cannot blame yourself. 
You need to tell Viola, not myself.
Daniel: I don't want to tell her. 
Mr Quinlan: Why? Because you think she'd hate you? 

Daniel: No, sir. I don't think she'll hate me, I know of it. 
Mr Quinlan: If you explain it all, she'll understand exactly what happened. 
Daniel: Oh will she? It wasn't an accident, sir. 

Mr Quinlan: It was an accident. It was, and you know that.
You lost control of the wheel-
Daniel: I never mentioned the wheel. I lost control of myself, sir. 
I am a terrible human being. I will rot in hell. 

Mr Quinlan: That's a bit extreme, Daniel. 
Daniel: Well, it's the truth! I'm an insane person! I tried to kill my girlfriend because I know who she is! 
 Mr Quinlan: I'm sure you didn't mean to hurt her-
Daniel: No, I did.

Dana: What the hell are you doing here? 
Viola: What...the...hell...are...you-
Dana: I'm none of your business. I've been waiting to kill you. 

Dorothy: This kid deserves death. If this was the time of the hangings I would cast his name to sin and hang him myself. 
Derrick: He's been horrible to our Viola. 
Dorothy: He deserves to pay. 

Daniel: I told you I've lost myself. I told you I changed. 
No one can help me now. 
Victoria: This is when I wish I was alive to tear him apart. 
Daniel: I tried to kill her. I will again. 

Mr Quinlan: You don't need to hurt yourself, Daniel. 
You like Viola. You wouldn't kill her-
Daniel: No, sir. I drove fast towards her. 
Mr Quinlan: Were you drunk? Or delirious? Are you drunk now? 

Dana: My oh my. I have longed for this day ever since the accident. 
Viola: You...you can't kill me. 
Dana: Oh really? I will kill you. 

Daniel: I am sober and I was that day. I am not sane, sir. 
Viola is not sane either. 
Mr Quinlan: You can't decide her sanity. 
Daniel: I will thank you for this time, but you can't help me. 

Dana: Where are you off to? I didn't ask for you to leave. 
Viola: I didn't...ask to...die either. 
Dana: There was never an option for you to agree. It has to happen. 

Mr Quinlan: Talk to her, Daniel. Tell her the truth. 
Daniel: She would kill me, sir. 
Mr Quinlan: Kill you? Viola is-
Daniel: Viola is dying, sir. 

Mr Quinlan: Dying...
Daniel: She is plagued by some disease. They threaten her soul and they will threaten us. 
Victoria: Let me slit his throat. Please. 
Daniel: They are killing her. They will kill her. 

Mr Quinlan: You are delusional. Daniel, she is fine. 
Daniel: Medically, yes. Mentally, she is withering away. 
Mr Quinlan: I think we're done here. 

Viola: You can't kill me. 
Daniel: Viola! What happened to you? 
 Viola: This witch tried to kill me. 
Daniel: Let go of her foot. Leave now, woman. 

Viola: You didn't save me, Daniel. That...wasn't saving. 
Daniel: I know that. Can we talk? 
Viola: I need to talk to you. We can talk. 

----

Justin: *voice over* Why am I here? At this bar. Sitting alone. 
I came here to relax myself, I suppose, but right now I don't feel that way. I don't feel like I'm anything else but stressed out. Maybe this was my mistake. 

Diamond: Hey there. You look terrible. 
Justin: Yeah, thanks. 
Diamond: Oh no! I didn't mean your pretty face. I meant that you look in the ditches. You are handsome. 
Justin: I'm not...I'm gay, actually. 

Diamond: Oh, well I can accept that! My name is Diamond. 
I know my name is funny! I like it.
Justin: Hi. I'm Justin. You have a nice name. 
Diamond: Thank you! 

Justin: So...uh...do you come here often, Diamond? 
Diamond: Oh. Not really. You can call me Dia, by the way. 
Justin: Okay, Dia. 

Diamond: Would you like a drink?
I'm...I am sorry if I offend you. 
Justin: Uh, I wouldn't mind one. Just one. 
Diamond: Coming right up! Yay! 

Bartender: What can I get you, darling? 
Justin: *voice over* I didn't think I'd come here and meet a friend, but maybe there is a friendship between us. She seems nice. I also didn't think I'd be drinking tonight. Life is full of surprises, right? 
Diamond: Oh thank you! Did you catch that? 

???: Is anyone sitting here, sir? 
Beau: Uh huh. Find another seat, woman. 
???: Okay, rude. Just finding a spot to drink. 

Dana: Drink and kill, of course.  
Bartender: Excuse me, miss. Would you like something to drink? 
Dana: Bourbon on the rocks. Make it strong. 

Justin: *voice over* Between Viola's news and the woman following me around today with such an illustrious want for blood, I don't know what to say anymore. My feelings for Jacob Mr Quinlan are still strong and I can't hide that. I need a distraction. 

Diamond: So, like, I've been investigating this, like, big company place. Like, I discovered, this big massive scam inside involving hair extensions.
I, like, feel actually threatened. You know?
Bartender: I'm just a bartender, kid. I don't know. 
Diamond: You should, like, invest. But not with them. 

Matthew: Hey, Lana. 
Bartender: Evening, Matty. What can I get ya? 
Matthew: The usual. You remember? 

Justin: *voice over* He walked in and my heart melted.
I know I could never find a guy like him, but it feels nice to feel that strange attraction with someone else. I feel it with him. 
Diamond: Like, chemicals are poisonous now! I didn't know! 

Matthew: So, Lana, how's the work been lately? 
Bartender: Fine, I suppose. I've noticed you've been out for a few weeks. 
Spending time with someone else? 
Matthew: Nah, hadn't been feeling it. 


Dana: Everybody freeze! 
Diamond: Holy shit! It must be them! 
They've found me! 
Dana: Nobody is leaving this building until someone dies. 

Justin: Oh god. It's her. 
*voice over* 
I should have known she would find me. Now she will kill me and my body will be found in some gutter with the body of a homeless man. Oh god.  

Matthew: I'm not afraid of you. 
Bartender: Matty, sit your ass down. You don't get involved. 
Matthew: No, I'm a honorable person. 
I won't tolerate this. 

Dana: Listen to the bartender, dude. Follow her orders and mine. 
You could be the next die if you'd like that. 
Matthew: You won't kill me. 
Dana: Oh really? You think so? 
Matthew: Who's your target then? 

Dana: His name is Justin Hawkin. He's on my hit list now. 
Justin: You have no reason to kill me. 
*voice over* 
 There's nothing I've done to deserve this. 
I shouldn't die now.  

Dana: It's true that I have no reasoning myself, but my brother has reason. 
Justin: Your brother? Who is he? 
Bartender: I wish I could help. I do. 
Dana: His name is Daniel Peyton. My real name is Melina Peyton.
My brother wanted me to match him.  

Justin: Daniel...why would he need to kill me? 
Melina: He thinks you control Viola. He thinks you saved her. 
Justin: Saved her? He...he thinks I stopped that bullet. 

Melina: Yes. He believes that, but I know it could not have been you. 
It was a spirit. 
Justin: You have no motive to kill me. 
Melina: No, I do. My brother is practically begging me. 
Bartender: Stop this. 

Melina: Turn away, bar lady. 
You don't want to watch. 
Justin: Fine, kill me. My future isn't bright. 
Diamond: Like, that's untrue! You're gay! 
Melina: Goodbye, Justin. 

*he jumps in front of him* 
Matthew: I told you I'm not afraid. 
You won't kill me because it isn't an order. 
Justin: I...I...thank you.

Melina: If I had a choice, you'd all be dead. 
My orders were to kill Justin Hawkin and if you decide to save him, I will kill him another day. This isn't over. 
Matthew: Oh, you won't be allowed in here again. 
Bartender: Tell her! She's banned...for life! 

Melina: I will kill you, Justin. 
Justin: No, you won't. I know your brother is controlling you. 
I can help you. 
Melina: No, you can't. This is my life. 
*she exits* 

Justin: This seems stereotypical but thank you. Thank you for saving my life. 
I never caught your name.
Matthew: You didn't hear it of those billion times it was spoken?
It's Matthew. Matthew Applegate. 
Justin: You know my name by now. 

Matthew: Yes, I do. It's a perfect name. 
 Justin: Perfect, really? I don't know if I'd ever say that. 
Matthew: You suit it. You look exactly like a Justin. 
Maybe Justin Timberlake? 

Justin: *he laughs* I don't think so. 
Matthew: You are quite attractive, though. 
Justin: I...thank you, Matt. You're far more attractive than I am. 
I mean, wow. You are so very attractive. 
Matthew: *he laughs* 

Justin: I don't how many times I want to thank you. 
She would have killed me. I would have never met Mr Handsome. 
Matthew: I would have never met you. I needed to save you. 
Justin: You really wanted to meet me? 

Matthew: Of course. I feel something with you. 
Justin: Me too. 
*Matthew kisses Justin* 
Diamond: Aw! Like, so cute! So freaking adorable! 

.
.

Justin: We're really in your apartment? 
Matthew: *whispering* Yeah. We are. 
Justin: I've never been in a guy's apartment before...like this, I mean. 
Matthew: Like this? Like, kissing. Touching. 
Justin: Like this. Moving towards the bed. 

.
.

Matthew: Hey, if you don't want to have sex yet we don't have to. 
Justin: I know. It's just-
Matthew: Your first time? I get that. 

Justin: I'm waiting for the right time. With the right guy. 
You saved me, and that seems perfect, but....
Matthew: We just met. 
Justin: Yeah. Let me get to know you first. 
Matthew: Can we at least...

----

Mr Quinlan: Kyra! Open up! 
Naomi wasn't home when I arrived. Her house was trashed. 
Kyra: The door is open. Come on in. 
Mr Quinlan: Okay then. 

Mr Quinlan: That's odd. She didn't ask me to wait this time. 
Kyra: I'm in the living room, Jacob. 
Mr Quinlan: Okay. This feels strange. 

*closing the front door* 
Kyra: Don't bother locking it. Ow! 
Mr Quinlan: Kyra! What happened to you? 
Kyra: I'm fine, just stubbed my toe. Please lock the door.  
*he locks the door*  

Naomi: Yes, father. Please lock the door. 
Mr Quinlan: Naomi? Is that you? 
Kyra: Help me, Jacob. She's-
*Naomi kicks her mother's foot* 
Kyra: Jesus!  

Mr Quinlan: Naomi, what are you doing here? 
Why did you tie your mother up? 
Kyra: I don't know what is happening, Jacob. 
Mr Quinlan: Your house was trashed-

Naomi: I needed to destroy some...evidence. 
Mr Quinlan: Evidence...of what, Naomi? 
Naomi: It seems my mother has been tracking one of your students, dad. 
Her name is Viola Dalton. 
Mr Quinlan: Why was the evidence at your home? 

Kyra: I haven't been following her. Naomi has. 
Naomi: I told you to keep your mouth shut, mother! You were the one who suggested I follow her. 
Kyra: I had to lock her in my house for the past few days to keep her away. 

Mr Quinlan: Naomi...my daughter...is following a student. Why? 
What do you get from this? 
Naomi: We need to chat about that, dad. 

_______________________________________

Next time on The Soul Connection: Melanie's friendship with Ali and Seth develops into something more. Sean relapses back to the last few days he was alive. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Soul Connection Chapter 1: An Odd Meeting

The Soul Connection Chapter 7: The Dangers of Mine