The Soul Connection Chapter 13: No Cure

Chapter 13: No Cure

 Viola: She wanted to kill me. That woman; whoever she is.
She wanted to kill me. She attacked me. 
I thought I'd die out there, honestly. 

 Daniel: Don't say that. Why would she want to kill you? 
Viola: I don't know, people have been in that mood lately. 
Daniel: What people? 
Viola: Oh, don't worry.

 Daniel: Is there something you want to talk about, Vi? 
Viola: No. I'm just sore. 
Daniel: Do you want me to leave you here? 
Viola: I don't know. Maybe?

 Daniel: Will you be okay without me? 
Talk to me, Viola. 
Viola: I will be fine, Daniel. You shouldn't baby me like this. 
I just need to sleep. That's all. 
Daniel: If you say so.

 Viola: Dan-I don't want you to hold me right now. 
Daniel: Did I do something wrong, Vi? 
Viola: I-I don't know. I just don't feel like it. 
Daniel: I can leave now if you want.

Viola: I don't...I don't know what I want anymore. 
I am sick of all of this. You know...no. 
Daniel: What? Tell me. 
Viola: Uh...well, part of me wished to die out there. 
I don't know.  

 Daniel: You want to die? Viola-
Viola: I never said it like that. I just...would have accepted it. 
Daniel: Oh. What's happening with you? 
You want to leave? 

Viola: No...I love it here. I love spending my time here and I wouldn't wish to spend time anywhere else. It's just...no, that's none of your problems.
Daniel: You can trust me with anything. 
Viola: You wouldn't believe me. You can go if you want.  

Daniel: Okay, goodnight Viola. I will see you in the morning. 
Viola: Goodnight, Danny.
Daniel: If you need anything, you know where to find me. 
Viola: I know. Night.  

 Victoria: Would you like to know what happened with him and that teacher of yours? 
Viola: No. I shouldn't have asked you to do that. 
Derrick: It was our thank you. You sure? 
Viola: Yeah.

 Viola: I don't want to know. 
Victoria: If you say so.
Viola: You should leave me alone. I...I'd like to be alone. 
Derrick: Goodnight, Viola. 

 Sean: We agreed to lie to her. Why? 
Derrick: She doesn't want to know. No need to lie. 
Sean: Why lie in the first place? She needs to know about him.

 Dorothy: She's fragile. If we crush her heart, we crush her. 
We agreed to be gentle after...last time. 
Sean: I understand. 
Dorothy: No, I know you don't. 
You too are fragile. You only trust honesty.

 Sean: That's a lie. I'm a scientist. It's my job to be unbreakable. 
Dorothy: Sean, you died. You couldn't cure yourself. 
Sean: I didn't die. 
Dorothy: We're dead, Sean. Accept that. You are too fragile to.

Sean: I'm not fragile. I am not broken. 
Victoria: You are. We accept that.
Derrick: Our deaths have supported Viola. Remember that. 
Sean: My disease is curable. I know it.  
 Viola: What's happening out here? 
Dorothy: Sean won't accept his fate.
Viola: I won't accept mine. That woman wants to kill me. 
I need to find Jeana. Now. 
Derrick: We will follow you.

Sean: I can cure myself. This can't be the end. 

----

 Doctor: Hello Sean. It's wonderful to see you again. 
Sean: I came to talk about my results from the testing. 
I assume I'm as healthy as ever. 
Doctor: Oh right. 
Sean: I assume, sir.

 Doctor: I'd like to know how you are feeling today, Sean. 
How has your day been? 
Sean: My day? Before I came here? 
Doctor: Yes, Sean. Your day.

 Sean: It's been wonderful, sir! Simply wonderful. 
Doctor: That's great. I'm very glad to hear that. 
Sean: I've been having a good week as well. The science is improving. 
Doctor: Good to hear, Sean.

 Sean: So, what are my results? Tell me I will be okay, doc. 
Doctor: Well, I'd love to. 
Sean: You cannot then? Is there something wrong with me? 

 Doctor: Uh, Sean, I'm afraid the tests showed some signs similar to a particular disease...a disease that we cannot treat here. 
Sean: What do you mean? You don't have the equipment?
Doctor: No. There's...currently no cure.

 Sean: No cure? What do you mean? 
There's always some cure for something. 
Doctor: We've found nothing yet. 
Sean: Surely you have! I don't want to be sick.

 Doctor: Look, Sean, you won't be sick forever-
Sean: There's an end to the disease. It only lasts some time-
Doctor: It only lasts until you die, Sean. 
After that, the disease leaves your system.

 Sean: You wish to tell me I will die, sir? 
That there is no cure to save me from death? 
Doctor: Even you cannot save yourself from this. 
Sean: No, you're lying! There will be a cure! 
I will find it!

 Doctor: Maybe in a few years, maybe. 
Right now...we've found nothing. You're not alone, you know. 
Sean: The others just accept that they are to die? 
Doctor: There's no choice. Death becomes you. 
Sean: You're lying.

 Doctor: Promise me, Sean, I am not lying to you.
Other patients have died from this. 
Sean: You will find a cure or I will.
One of us. 
Doctor: We don't know, Sean. We've been trying. We will try to save you.

 Sean: I am a scientist. I can save myself-
Doctor: You could speed up the process. You don't know the triggers. 
Sean: I appreciate your help, but I will find this cure on my own.

 Doctor: I'd advise you rest. Spend the time you have with family. 
Enjoy your life before death, Sean. 
Sean: I don't...I don't have any family. 
Doctor: I'm so very sorry, Sean. Friends?

 Sean: My friends will understand why I need to do this. 
They will understand that I need to live. 
Doctor: You need to rest. This disease-
Sean: Will not kill me, sir. I will live.

 Doctor: Sean, this disease has no cure. It thrives off the will to live in your body. If you attempt to kill it, it will kill you instead. This is how it works. 
Sean: No, I won't accept that. Anything can be cured. 
Doctor: Sometimes that isn't the case.

 Sean: You may disapprove of this but you cannot stop me. 
I deserve to save myself, doctor. You understand that. 
Doctor: I'm afraid I don't. You need to rest.
Are you okay? 
Sean: I will be fine once I'm back in my lab, sir. 

*he falls*

 Doctor: Sean! 
Sean: I am perfectly fine, doctor. I just fell, is all. 
Doctor: This is the disease, Sean. It is warning you.
Sean: No, it is not that. It is refusing to leave.

 Doctor: Nothing good will come from fighting. 
I know every human wants to live, but for some, that isn't fate. 
Sean: You don't understand my fate, doctor.

----

Naomi: You want to know what I earn from following your student, correct? 
Mr Quinlan: Yes! She's an innocent girl. 
Naomi: I wouldn't say innocent. 
I wouldn't call Viola Dalton innocent. 

Mr Quinlan: She is innocent! She's done nothing wrong at all. 
The day I first met her, she acted so shy. How could you say she's something else? 
 Naomi: I know some things about her that you should understand, dad. 
Mr Quinlan: How will I know you aren't lying? 

Kyra: You won't! She will trick you, Jacob.
Don't listen to her, even if you still trust her. 
Naomi: Oh shut up, mother. 
Kyra: You tricked me into spying for you. I will not 'shut up'. 

Naomi: Ignore her. 
Kyra: I am your mother, Naomi. I gave you life. 
Yet you disobey me. 
Naomi: I haven't disobeyed you. Anyway, as I was saying, you wanted to know why. Why this is happening? 

Mr Quinlan: Yes, I want to know your reason. 
Following around a student as innocent as Viola is disrespectful.
Naomi: People follow others in everyday society.
I wouldn't be surprised if others are following her. 
Mr Quinlan: What did she do wrong? 

Naomi: Viola Dalton is dangerous. Put simply, her connection is...it's something out of this world. Many have tried to 'cure' her. 
Mr Quinlan: Cure her? She isn't ill. 
Kyra: Jacob, do you remember those caves? 
Naomi is involved with them. 

Mr Quinlan: The caves...yes, you talked about them. 
You said Viola could have found them, and I was confused about what they were. Beauties of the natural world, perhaps. 
Kyra: No, they were converted to a...well, a hideout. 
Mr Quinlan: A hideout? For who? 

Naomi: Mother, I can speak for myself. 
You are wondering who hides there. They are...revolutionists. 
Hell bent on discovering the cures to diseases hidden in plain sight. 
Mr Quinlan: You believe Viola is afflicted by something like this? 
Naomi: Not believe; I know. 

Mr Quinlan: You know how? Because you've been stalking her for some time? 
Is that why? Because you're a revolutionist of some sort? 
Naomi: I know you have questions but I've already said enough. 
Mr Quinlan: No, you haven't. What is her so-called 'disease'? 

Naomi: Fine. From birth, Viola Dalton was connected to spirits out of this world. Spirits of the dead. No, she's not a medium. 
Kyra: Jacob, your Viola is different. Watch her carefully. 
Naomi: She's...afflicted...by some forces that will attack. 

Mr Quinlan: Forces? Spirits of the dead? 
What do you mean by all this? 
Naomi: I knew you wouldn't understand, dad.
Ever since I moved out, I was swept up in this world. 
It takes a few years to truly understand. 
Mr Quinlan: Naomi, what are these forces? 

Naomi: Dad-
Mr Quinlan: Tell me! Tell me everything you know. 
Naomi: You might not want to know. 
Mr Quinlan: Tell me. I want to know about Viola. 

Naomi: Viola's experiencing some things that will change her. 
Mr Quinlan: Oh. Is that all? 
Naomi: No, father. This isn't a case of a teenage girl growing up.
It's a case of a teenage girl reaching the end. 
Mr Quinlan: Viola won't die. 

Naomi: It's true, it might not be death but she's moving closer to what we expect will happen. 
Mr Quinlan: And what exactly is that then? 
Kyra: Jacob, just leave. You don't want to know. 
Naomi: No, he does. A force stronger than Viola will escape into our world. 
She might just lose control in the process. 

 Mr Quinlan: A force stronger than Viola? Lose control? 
Kyra: The revolutionists believe the force will manipulate her reactions and potentially destroy her from the inside. 
Mr Quinlan: No! There are no 'forces' at play! 
Viola is an innocent girl!

Naomi: Dad, she told multiple members at our underground sit that there are spirits haunting her soul. We can prove that. I'm sorry.
Mr Quinlan: No! She won't lose control. 
Naomi: I'm so sorry, Dad. 

 ----

 Viola: So what happened to him? Why'd he run? 
Victoria: He's dreamed about curing himself since death. 
This was his chance. Even if he couldn't do it. 
Dorothy: He experiences these flashes all the time.

 Derrick: He's acted up since his death. 
He won't accept that he failed. 
Viola: Sean? Hey. Can we talk? 
Derrick: I don't think talking will help him.
 Sean: I'm fragile, they told me. 
You don't want me around. I can't cure myself. 
Viola: You can't, I understand. You died, Sean. 
Sean: No. I will find a cure.

 Dorothy: The rest of us accepted our deaths. It is the right...no, only thing to do. The correct and only thing to do. 
Derrick: We can't be resurrected. 
Victoria: We can only float these halls.

 Viola: Sean. After my accident, I thought I'd never walk again...but look at me now. I'm walking perfectly thanks to you. Maybe you didn't save yourself, but you helped me. 
Sean: No, I didn't. That was Victoria.
Viola: No, it was you. Victoria only planted that idea in your head.

 Sean: Victoria likes to lie. I didn't help you. 
Viola: Sean, you did. Maybe not then. Every time I feel worthless I now know you helped my lighten up and feel happy. 
Sean: I can't cure myself. I can't help you.

Victoria: Ever since you arrived with the dead like us, I've tried to accept that you are one of the only people not to accept their death. I've had enough. 
Derrick: Victoria-
Victoria: No, Derrick. I'm sick of him. Man up. You are dead. 
Derrick: Victoria! 

 Sean: I'll accept it. My life was a waste of time. 
I didn't cure anything. I didn't win anything except that crappy science fair trophy. 
Viola: Surely that means something to you.
Sean: No, not really. It was one experiment when I was ten.

 Dorothy: Life isn't always about winning. 
It is about enjoying every moment. I loved mine. 
Even if I died too early. 
Derrick: So what my best friend killed me. Every day with him was fun. 
Victoria: So what my friends abandoned me in the end. I enjoyed that final day.

 Viola: Life is about living and enjoying it all. 
So what there are tough moments? You move past them. 
Sean: My parents died young. I was an orphan. 
Viola: Well, I'm sorry for your lost but you moved on. 
Sean: I pursued science for them.

 Viola: Did they...your parents...did they love science too? 
Sean: My father did. My mother...she supported him.
Viola: How do you remember all this? 
Did someone tell you? 

Sean: They often...recorded...their work. 
I'd watch it over and over again. I loved it.
Dorothy: You wanted to honor them? That is wonderful, Sean.  

 Viola: I think that's amazing, Sean. 
You spent your life honoring your parents by aiming to achieve something that would please them. 
Sean: I didn't please them. They would be shaking their heads at me. 
Viola: They would be proud of you. 

 Sean: I need to find this cure. I am sorry, Viola. 
I must find it. I'm sorry. 
Viola: You can accept death, Sean. Life isn't everything. 
Sean: Says you. You're alive. I could always...steal your body.

 Victoria: For once I am against that idea, Sean. You couldn't do that! Not now. 
Viola is trying endlessly to help you and you want to steal her body? 
Sean: You wanted once too. 
Victoria: I didn't know her then. I know her now and I couldn't.

 Sean: I can't keep acting this way! 
*he screams* 
Viola: Please, Sean. Don't cry. 
Sean: I don't want to but I hate this.

 Finn: Viola? What was the sound? 
Viola: Huh? 
Finn: I heard screaming. 
I came running to see if someone was hurt.

 Viola: Oh. Nobody's here Finn. 
You can go back to bed. 
Finn: Come on. Why are you in the lab anyway? 
Viola: I don't know.

 ----

*the next morning* 

Melanie: *voice over* For most of my life leading up to this moment, I hadn't really thought about anything to do with my sexuality. I thought I was a normal girl. No, I am normal- no matter what. I thought I was straight. Plain and simple. Maybe it's not that simple after all.

Ali: Hey Melanie. 
Melanie: Hey Ali. What's up? 
Ali: I was, uh, wondering if you'd like to...uh, hang out later. 

Melanie: Yeah, sure. *voice over* I never imagined myself having feelings for a girl but it happened. Out of the blue, I now feel something for Ali. It's raw and somehow powerful and I don't know exactly what to do. 
Ali: Okay! I'll see you later then. 
Melanie: Yep. 

.
.

Seth: Hey, Mel. How are you?
Melanie: I'm great, Seth. What's up? 
Seth: You wanna hang out later? 

Melanie: Oh, okay. *voice over* Not only did I feel something for Ali, but then there is Seth. The kind of guy I'd usually see myself involved with. I don't know exactly who I feel drawn to the most, but I feel something. I'm torn. 
Seth: Come find me later then. 
Melanie: Yeah. 

.
.
.
 
Melanie: *voice over* Naturally I would turn to my parents. 
The two people I could always count on in my life. Sure, friends would be more understanding but I panicked and ran here. With only my phone in my hand. 
Surely they would understand my dilemma. 

Melanie: You can tell them, Mel. 
Whether they understand is another problem.
You can tell them. 
*voice over* Who am I kidding? Most likely they'll cast me out. 

Melanie: *voice over* Or they'll hang up on me. 
Either way, I'm essentially doomed. 
At least I'll have two crushes. That's always fun. 
Why didn't I go find Justin? He knows how to handle one crush. 

Melanie: Hey mother! How are you? 
 Linda: Mel! It's so wonderful to hear your voice again. 
We've been fine, how about you? Are you enjoying school? 
Melanie: Yeah, it's fine. I needed to talk to you. 

Linda: Whatever it is, I am here to support you. Unless you're pregnant.
Then you can leave this family. 
Melanie: I'm not carrying a child, mum. How's dad doing? 
Linda: He's holding up. Say hello Adrian!
Adrian: Hello, Melanie. I trust you're okay. 

Melanie: Yeah, I'm all good Dad. 
Listen, I want you to be honest with me. 
Linda: We're always honest, love. 
Melanie: I know; I know. It's just...this is important to me. 
Linda: Fire away, Mel. 

Melanie: Okay, well...uh...I'm just going to say this as simple as I can. 
I've been dealing with a few...problems recently and I...uh, well, I have feelings for two different people now. 
Adrian: Mel, this reminds me of the senior year of high school for your mother and I. Your mother liked two guys-
Melanie: It's not two guys, dad. 

Linda: You like a girl? 
Melanie: Yeah. I'm not....I'm not gay but I like her. 
Her and him. 
Linda: Mel, I don't want to seem like the bad mother but...well, you've always been...invested in the male species. This is unlike you. 

Melanie: You can't decide what is like me, mum. 
I'm my own person, and I expected something like this. 
Adrian: We still love you a lot, but we want you to think about this. 
Are you sure you like her like that? 
Melanie: I might. She's an amazing girl, Dad. 

Linda: Whatever makes you happy, love. 
Melanie: Thanks for the chat, parents. 
Adrian: You know we still love you. Even if you do like girls. 
__________________________________________

Next time on The Soul Connection: The souls are visited by someone who reminds them that within moments their connection to Viola could be broken. April hears news regarding her manager's condition. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Soul Connection Chapter 1: An Odd Meeting

The Soul Connection Chapter 12: Cuts and Bruises

The Soul Connection Chapter 7: The Dangers of Mine